Kitchen Cabinet Crown Molding - Make Them Fancy!

$50

I helped my Neighbor install some new upper cabinets... this project is about how we made them fancy by putting a simple crown molding on the top.

The challenge is that there is little room on the top to nail the crown directly into the cabinets.... so we got creative with some cleats and caulk.... looks great!Here is the before of one section. Lets get started and make them look even better!

The premise is simple... We have 45 degree cabinet crown... so we just built up a cleat we can nail into.It consisted of a small piece tacked directly into the top co the cabinet... then we added a 45 degree piece against the back of the crown so we has something to nail in to.

Here is the top of one of the cabinets.... only need a few around the edges to give you something to pin nail into.

The cleats were made out of some 1x3 wood we actually used to put up the cabinets... this was a longer board used under the cabinet to support them when we screwed the cabinets into the wall. Made the job go much easier. We just repurposed the wood strip after to cut the "base blocks" and the "angled blocks".

The BIGGEST trick in crown molding is to make sure you use wood glue on the corners. The pin nails only hold it in place while the glue dries.

Here is one of the cabinets after we are done.Remember: "Caulk is your friend!" It hides the gaps and it helps hold it in place!

Perfect example of how caulk saves the day. Since the cleats do the heavy lifting.... caulk helps make it look pretty and gives it a little extra support.

Day light gone! The gap filled in nicely.

Here is the final! Looks much nicer doesn't it?Simple way to make any of your cabinets pop. Add it to your kitchen, bathroom, anywhere on a cabinet near you!

I love Crown molding as it turns corners... giving nice shadows and contours.A simple way to make anything POP!Hope this inspires you to try something in your house... or your neighbors house in this case!The project on this page was just for my neighbor to help him out... If you like this project, then check out what I did for my own kitchen remodel.. going all the way to the ceiling - link below...

22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/29022909/kitchen-remodel

• Jo
    Jo

That looks awesome, but .... you obviously know what you're doing and you do it well.

How would you add crown moulding to cherry colored cabinets? I'm not sure there is a stain that would match.

• Donald Bennett
      Donald Bennett

You can also paint it for a rich-looking accent. With cherry, I'd go with a satin black.

• Jackie Britton Lopatin
    Jackie Britton Lopatin

I have a china cabinet with "crown molding" and I would much rather it have a board across the top of the molding. All that space between the crown molding and the ceiling is wasted (in my opinion). Just extra space for dust to collect and no easy way to wipe off the dust. So congrats on having done a good job to get the look you wanted, but have fun getting up there to clean it out later.

Sorry to be a downer. I'm looking for projects that make my stuff easier to keep clean while expanding my storage space. Can you have too much clean storage space?

• EmmaSurf
      EmmaSurf

It's a trade off. I don't find it that difficult to keep the top of cabinets clean. My current kitchen has taken walk cabinets to the ceiling and i find that i prefer the more modern look if the shorter cabinets.

• Carol
    Carol

May cabinets are against the celling, can I nail molding to the cabinet?

• Ogmichelle45
    Ogmichelle45

Don’t be afraid to paint that molding an accent color. My husband pushed me and I love it.

• David McIntosh
      David McIntosh

Nice complimentary colors. Goes well with the ceiling beams. The kitchen ultimately had the lower cabinets painted a darker color... so challenge accepted. It is nice to have contrast for a balance.

• Realdeal1150
    Realdeal1150

I would install rope light on top of cabinets so there would be a light aura off ceiling.

• David McIntosh
      David McIntosh

That was another project... this was just focused on how to install the crown. Under-lighting was added as well for the work surfaces.

You are certainly on the same wavelength! Love to see your project with the lights installed.