Kitchen Cabinet Crown Molding - Make Them Fancy!

$50

I helped my Neighbor install some new upper cabinets... this project is about how we made them fancy by putting a simple crown molding on the top.

The challenge is that there is little room on the top to nail the crown directly into the cabinets.... so we got creative with some cleats and caulk.... looks great!Here is the before of one section. Lets get started and make them look even better!

The premise is simple... We have 45 degree cabinet crown... so we just built up a cleat we can nail into.It consisted of a small piece tacked directly into the top co the cabinet... then we added a 45 degree piece against the back of the crown so we has something to nail in to.

Here is the top of one of the cabinets.... only need a few around the edges to give you something to pin nail into.

The cleats were made out of some 1x3 wood we actually used to put up the cabinets... this was a longer board used under the cabinet to support them when we screwed the cabinets into the wall. Made the job go much easier. We just repurposed the wood strip after to cut the "base blocks" and the "angled blocks".

The BIGGEST trick in crown molding is to make sure you use wood glue on the corners. The pin nails only hold it in place while the glue dries.

Here is one of the cabinets after we are done.Remember: "Caulk is your friend!" It hides the gaps and it helps hold it in place!

Perfect example of how caulk saves the day. Since the cleats do the heavy lifting.... caulk helps make it look pretty and gives it a little extra support.

Day light gone! The gap filled in nicely.

Here is the final! Looks much nicer doesn't it?Simple way to make any of your cabinets pop. Add it to your kitchen, bathroom, anywhere on a cabinet near you!

I love Crown molding as it turns corners... giving nice shadows and contours.A simple way to make anything POP!Hope this inspires you to try something in your house... or your neighbors house in this case!The project on this page was just for my neighbor to help him out... If you like this project, then check out what I did for my own kitchen remodel.. going all the way to the ceiling - link below...

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
30 Creative Painting Techniques & Ideas You MUST See
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Everything Red For Canada Day
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters

To see more: https://www.hometalk.com/29022909/kitchen-remodel

• Ruth

Just a comment. My husband enclosed the space above the cupboards for storage of once-a-year cooking pots/pan/etc.

• Jo

That looks awesome, but .... you obviously know what you're doing and you do it well.

How would you add crown moulding to cherry colored cabinets? I'm not sure there is a stain that would match.

• David McIntosh

There is a stain for everything.... you just need to try a few.... otherwise... you can buy Cherry Crown online from several outlets: https://www.google.com/search?q=cherry+crown+molding

As for skill... watch a simple video on how to... and cut upside down - You can use a simple miter box and hand saw.

After a few screw-ups you start to get it quick! That is how I learned. I DONT do this for a living... I learned it doing a few rooms at a time in my own house. Now all my rooms have crown. Some better than others.

• Jackie Britton Lopatin

I have a china cabinet with "crown molding" and I would much rather it have a board across the top of the molding. All that space between the crown molding and the ceiling is wasted (in my opinion). Just extra space for dust to collect and no easy way to wipe off the dust. So congrats on having done a good job to get the look you wanted, but have fun getting up there to clean it out later.

Sorry to be a downer. I'm looking for projects that make my stuff easier to keep clean while expanding my storage space. Can you have too much clean storage space?

• JudyH

If your cabinets don't go up to the ceiling, line the flat tops with parchment paper. Simply fold and remove it every few months (along with the accumulated dust and grime) and replace it with fresh paper. Works great on top of the frig also!