License Plate Box

An old license plate can be cut, and folded into a charming box with very little effort. We use them to serve nuts outside on the patio.
license plate box, crafts, repurposing upcycling
A couple of license plate boxes filled with nuts on the patio.
Use a rubber mallet to flatten the license plate as much as possible. You don't have to completely flatten the numbers and letters, but make the plate as "unwarped" as possible.
Cut in about 3 1/4 inches with tin snips.
Snip off about 1 inch from each cut edge.
Fold the front up, using a wood block as a quide for a crisp edge.
Fold in the back side with a pair of pliers.
Fold in the front side as well. Then repeat on the other end too.
Fold over the edges towards the inside to cover the sides.
The finished license plate box will be about 5 1/2 inches by 3 inches, and about 1 1/2 inches deep......depending on the size of your plate. Fill them with anything you want. Yes, even succulents.
James@TheCavenderDiary

• Margiecook4

Where does one get used license plates?

• Terry

Just about anywhere, go to a scrap yard and you Will see them on wrecked cars and any vehicle there or you can ask just about anyone who's had more than a car they may have last years plates and go to second hand stores!!

• Amy

Are the edges not sharp? Has anyone gone in for a peanut and cut their hand! My oldest son collects them and this would be great to store/organize things in his room. But he is, let's just say clumsy.

• Margi Daly

I have many most antique my Dad collected would like to make something bigger in memory of him. Any ideas?

• Per33817111

I have a patio wall of all the state's! Now I can make use of them! Thanks for ur motivation and brilliant mind!

• Dudie Sipe

Thank you for sharing this idea!! My father has so many license plates that he kept. He passed away last year, and of course I took all the licenses home with me. I will do this project, and feel my dad around me. I just love this idea.