License Plate Box

An old license plate can be cut, and folded into a charming box with very little effort. We use them to serve nuts outside on the patio.
A couple of license plate boxes filled with nuts on the patio.
Use a rubber mallet to flatten the license plate as much as possible. You don't have to completely flatten the numbers and letters, but make the plate as "unwarped" as possible.
Cut in about 3 1/4 inches with tin snips.
Snip off about 1 inch from each cut edge.
Fold the front up, using a wood block as a quide for a crisp edge.
Fold in the back side with a pair of pliers.
Fold in the front side as well. Then repeat on the other end too.
Fold over the edges towards the inside to cover the sides.
The finished license plate box will be about 5 1/2 inches by 3 inches, and about 1 1/2 inches deep......depending on the size of your plate. Fill them with anything you want. Yes, even succulents.

15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
James@TheCavenderDiary

• Margiecook4
    Margiecook4

Where does one get used license plates?

• Shuswap kev
      Shuswap kev

anywhere but australia...anywhere else in the world...licence plates are just discarded... lack of any working computor system means in oz you can drive around with stolen licence plates... i left canada about 1990?? for years before that most police cars would notice an irregular plate going the other way at 60 mph... a wrong plate got you pulled up quick smart...they just had to drive thru any parking lot... irregular plate...car was seized..

• Amy
    Amy

Are the edges not sharp? Has anyone gone in for a peanut and cut their hand! My oldest son collects them and this would be great to store/organize things in his room. But he is, let's just say clumsy.

• Margi Daly
    Margi Daly

I have many most antique my Dad collected would like to make something bigger in memory of him. Any ideas?

• Sus
    Sus

I think this is a great idea. I will be trying this out for sure. I will be wearing some gloves when working with the cut license plate though.

• Joey
    Joey

I thank you for the great idea. I am from South Carolina and am a Veteran. I used your instructions to make my box with the Veteran showing.