Spectacular Wall Art You Won't Want to Give Away!

$5

We all need a little sparkle in our lives! This SUPER EASY DIY will have you feeling like a real artist as well as give you the perfect excuse to raid your craft box!
The Perfect Hand Crafted Holiday Gift!
You Will Need:
This is the first in a series of lovely holiday gift DIYs. They are all so simple, yet spectacular - you will be amazed! To begin I gathered all my supplies. Most things I had on hand - but if not you can get everything I used on Amazon or at your local craft store.
You can see here where I started. The wooden canvases were very inexpensive, but you could use old pictures you already have but no longer love - simply paint over the original with white paint.
First I cut my balsa wood sticks to size. I wanted them to fit nicely around my frame. This is strictly optional - I just felt I wanted a nice surround to my finished picture.
Next I took some white acrylic paint and gave my canvas, (it was wood but you could use canvas too) a quick coat.
I used acrylic craft paint, but you could use any water based paint you have to hand.
Next I took some Artists Modeling Paste - don't worry if you dont have any, you can use joint compound or any paint texturiser. You could even just use really thick paint!
I mixed my paste with a little paint, but this isnt really necessary!
Using a pallete knife I spread a thick layer of the paste over my wooden canvas. It is a bit like frosting a cake!
I then took a large paint stick - you could use a ruler or cardboard or anything long enough to reach across your canvas. I wanted a 'stripey' type texture that was not too perfect!
I dragged and pressed, dragged and pressed the paint stick to create this texture. You could use a cup to create circles or cardboard to create swirls. It is really up to you. Then you need to be patient. You must leave your textured picture to dry overnight!
Once dry you get to have some fun! I raided my 9 year olds 'slime' making stash and grabbed her clear elmers glue. Any clear drying glue would work. I then painted the glue all over the texture - being careful to get it into the crevices. Once it was covered I reached for my glitter!
I chose white glitter, a pewter and a black contrasting colour. You could go with any colour you like, but I really wanted to get the ombre showing up against my white walls!
Sprinkle the glitter onto the wet glue. Start with your lightest colour and gradually introduce the contrasting shades working to the darkest shade at the top (or bottom) of your picture.
TIP: Work over a tray and gather up any loose glitter in a baggie for later use!
See how I gradually changed the colour?
The Sparkle is incredible!
Whilst the glue was drying on the glitter I painted my balsa wood frame. I attached it to the outside of my painting using No More Nails - though you could use actual nails!
I am in love. So simple and I think I could create several at a time. They would look spectacular grouped together! I will be sure to update the picture as soon as I do that!

Let me know if you make one!

Fiona Debell

• Sandy Su

I don't like glitter but want to try this anyway. Is there a way to print out the material list?
    • Fiona Debell

Yes - you should be able to print the image with the materials on it at the top of the blog post. 🙂
    • Margaret Green

You might need to copy and paste the image to some other software in order to print it out.
    • Amelia Baxter

the perfect excuse to raid your craft box! The Perfect Hand Crafted Holiday Gift!

• Jen31616596

Afree applying the glitter do you do a sealant coat to hold everything in place?
    • Fiona Debell

I think it would be a good idea to add a spray sealant.
    • Nancy Wilson

That's what I was wondering. I like this project. You did a nice job. I also like the idea of using an old framed picture.....there are so many of those in thrift shops.
    • Fiona Debell

You can seal with strong hold hair spray! How crazy is that! 😊

• Nixel

Did you make the balsa wood frame, if so how? love the wall art.

• Fiona Debell

I just cut it to size and painted it then attached to the wooden canvas using No More Nails 🙂

• Mary Ward

Glue is dry, ready for glitter. Question for you, (probably dumb), did you sprinkle the glitter on the surface laid flat, or, upright in an easel?
    • Fiona Debell

Flat - it was lying in a tray to catch excess glitter - but then I tapped it downwards so the glitter spread a bit :)
    • Bbunny42

She said the glitter should be sprinkled over wet glue, which allows it to stick. If yours is already dry, you could probably just put another thin layer of glue on top of the dry glue and then sprinkle the glitter. The wet glue makes the glitter stick to the surface.
    • Lori

Just an idea...apply the paint a bit thicker & sprinkle the tiny beads us 'older' folks used to make bracelets decades ago :)) ...or for a kitchen space, use actual cupcake sprinkles? Could be fun to do with Grandkids.
  • Montana Marie

I LOVE this too! Has anyone tried it with anything other than glitter? Trying to brainstorm on other tiny 'things' to sprinkle through.. I wonder if my kiddos old crayons could be grated up and stick well.. any other ideas? Also.. does regular ol' wall paint work on canvas? What paint did you use on the frame? I love the rustic elegance!
    • Francesca

yes you can use wall paint on canvas. You may have to thin it a little. For something different you could drag a different colored paint over the finished base using a dry brush technique.the paint would catch on the rough ridges giving you shading and color or use gold/silver leaf or both! Just in case you don’t know- dry brushing is where you dip your paint brush into the paint and then gently rub the brush on a rag or paper towel to remove most of the paint from the brush.

• Janice

what could you spray over glitter so it does not fall off onto floor?

• Carla

You might try either hairspray or a high gloss spray sealer. Just a light coat should hold it.

• Jaynie

I would pour a two-part epoxy resin over the top to prevent glitter shed and give the project a 3-d effect.

• Jill Ron Pike

Polyurethane spray, Mod Podge, or a similar craft sealer.

• Genine

Minwax Spray polyurathane Would work well, dry fast...and could add as many coats as wanted. Can get it at Lowe's.

• Leonie

love this idea... Thanks for the inspiration. Might grab an old picture I don't love anymore. Thinking about giving the glitter a final spray with clear 'paint'or even hairspray to keep it from falling... Your thoughts?

thanks, Leonie