RePurposed Chest of Drawers.
This neglected 70’s long dresser was rescued from a basement. It had not been cleaned and you could barely see the detail. The massive brass pulls and corners were almost invisible. So you just jump in and see what happens.
Step one included cleaning. I then measured the top and cut 2 inches from the left side, the back and over where the 3 drawers begin. I loosened the top and cut the drawer supports out.
Step two was to build a 2x3 frame as a support for the bench seat. I then attached the frame to the top of the first level of drawers.
The third step was to drop the top of the chest down to be the seat. I attached the seat with trim head screws.
Step four, I traced and cut plywood to fit the inner sides and 1x6 deck planking for the back of the bench. I added a 2x2 support for the bottom back of the bench and applied the boards to the back Screwing them into the bottom 2x2 and the back top of dresser.
For step five I added trim around the top and base of the seat. I painted the bench inside and out with Zinser primer. I then finished with Country Gray chalk paint from Rustoleum and a clear coat of finishing wax. The brass pullls and corners I cleaned with 0000 Steel wool.
Two pillows and the piece is worthy of a book and a drink.
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. More info