Gary Hardman
Gary Hardman
  • Tutorial Team
  • Springboro, OH

RePurposed Chest of Drawers.

$50
1 Week
Advanced

This neglected 70’s long dresser was rescued from a basement. It had not been cleaned and you could barely see the detail. The massive brass pulls and corners were almost invisible. So you just jump in and see what happens.
repurposed chest of drawers
Step one included cleaning. I then measured the top and cut 2 inches from the left side, the back and over where the 3 drawers begin. I loosened the top and cut the drawer supports out.
repurposed chest of drawers
Step two was to build a 2x3 frame as a support for the bench seat. I then attached the frame to the top of the first level of drawers.
repurposed chest of drawers
The third step was to drop the top of the chest down to be the seat. I attached the seat with trim head screws.
repurposed chest of drawers
Step four, I traced and cut plywood to fit the inner sides and 1x6 deck planking for the back of the bench. I added a 2x2 support for the bottom back of the bench and applied the boards to the back Screwing them into the bottom 2x2 and the back top of dresser.
repurposed chest of drawers
For step five I added trim around the top and base of the seat. I painted the bench inside and out with Zinser primer. I then finished with Country Gray chalk paint from Rustoleum and a clear coat of finishing wax. The brass pullls and corners I cleaned with 0000 Steel wool.
repurposed chest of drawers
Two pillows and the piece is worthy of a book and a drink.

• K_a7863698

SUCH a beautiful make over!
    Im totally in love with the color!
    I HAVE to ask...Is the chalk paint its self Rustoleum brand or a color by them and you created the chalk paint?
    I need this color. ☺️
    • Alicia

Add calcium carbonate to any paint and it will be chalk paint

• C langdon

I bought a used high, square kitchen/ dining room table that needs some love. There's a couple little divots and a place where it looks like the veneer was completely scraped off in the dead xenter middle so there is no hiding it and we're not much of a tablecloth kind of people. Hopefully you can see the defects in the picture. I'm really at a loss... I'm just a woman with a spray can of black paint. Could someone give me some direction what to do or suggestions how to make it look good again? Do I just use a really fine sandpaper and sand out the rough spots and then spray paint it? It has a wood grain looking top to it now but black iwill work for me.

• Melinda Boyd

I would lightly sand the spots to see how deep they are first. I'm thinking wood putty would be an option here. If the divots are deep, fill with wood putty, sand smooth, primer and paint. Good luck!

• Missy Rico

Do you still have drawer pulls? I have the same dresser but it's missing 1 drawer pull the top one and I'm interested in purchasing it if you still have them

• Gary Hardman

Hi Missy,

Here are the drawer pulls I have from this project. Let me know if these are what you need.

Gary