Asked on Nov 6, 2017

How do I remove sticky label residue from a wine box?

CrystalCynthia HSnapoutofit
+9

I recently obtained 4 wooden wine crates, each which had a big white label stuck to the end. I was able remove the label but it left sticky residue over the entire end of the box. Any suggestions on how to remove this? I want to stain the crate and put a stencil on the end but I can’t do anything until I get the sticky glue off the woDo.

• Deb6121603

Goo Gone will take the sticky residue off.

• Jean

Smear some peanut butter on it. It won't hurt the wood. If you're going to stain after use a little diluted vinegar to help with the oil

• Ande

googone should work

• Krisihli

How about using a solvent such as lacquer thinner, no residue or Goop label remover. A heat gun and scraper might work as well, yet you will have to use a solvent to prep the surface so the wood accepts the stain.

• Janet Panos

Hello! I just removed sticky residue from some new glassware I purchased. At first I tried Scrubbing it off with the rough side of a sponge after soaking the glasses in soapy water. No luck! Then I tried something I read about. I put a couple of drops of Dawn dish detergent directly on the affected area and then a couple of drops of white vinegar. I let that soak for just a few seconds and then rubbed the area with my finger and the sticky stuff immediately came off!

• TAMMY SPALSBURY

a product called googone. You can get it at Walmart or meijer or just about any store.

• LaNell

Try a little bit of regular fingernail polish remover on a tiny corner of the sticky spot. I think this will remove the glue without leaving a spot of any kind like Goo Gone

• LaNell

Like Too Gone dwould.

• Bamagirl63

Mineral spirits will do it.

• Snapoutofit

Goof Off or Goo Gone -- Sold at Home Depot.

• Cynthia H

A little oil rubbed into the sticky area, .apply baking soda or cleanser, work it in and should scrub right off. Elmer's Glue makes a "sticky" remover that is excellent on residue and glue. It's with the glue in the craft section.

• Crystal

Try nail polish remover