La Dame aux Camélias
La Dame aux Camélias
  • Tutorial Team
  • United Kingdom

Padded Pelmet

$45

After redecorating the kitchen, the south facing window cried out for dressing.
A simple pelmet, covered in pretty floral fabric, was created.
padded pelmet
padded pelmet
I measured the width of the window, adding 3 inches to each side. Having decided on a depth of 12 inches for the drop, I bought a piece of MDF and had it cut to size. Two pieces of timber, 3 x 1 inches, were secured to each end, to form the box.
padded pelmet
Wadding was cut to size and stapled to the box.
padded pelmet
The end blocks were also covered with wadding.
padded pelmet
The fabric chosen was purchased from a local fent shop. I bought an ex-display curtain, utilising both fabric and the lining. The fabric had to be pieced together, creating a pattern-matched join, to achieve the required length.
padded pelmet
The fabric is attached. I stapled it on top of the wadding, starting from the centre, to ensure the pattern was straight.
padded pelmet
A neat lining was added.
padded pelmet
Two metal fastenings were attached. The pelmet was then ready for hanging.

A pretty addition to the kitchen window.

Gray Series Sewing Cotton Fabric Floral Patchwork Fabric Fat Quarter Bundles...

• We28518635

Beautiful josb; but what is that white thing on the wall next to the window?
    Diane

• Lynne Webb

So glad someone asked. I had already decided it wasn't in the States. Must be like our under the counter units.

• Jes31355799

darling! how did you attach your pelmet to the wall?

• Linda

Did anyone find out what the white thing is on the wall. I thought it looked like some sort of air dryer ???

• Ella Frierson Bond

I have done this with lauan or 1/4" plywood same result, but much lighter.

• Very nice job. It adds just enough decor to look good but not so much detail to make it hard to keep clean. A simple vacuum to get dust off will keep it looking good for a long time. I see very fancy valance window treatments in thrift stores all the time where the fabric is so looped, ruffled and fringed that you can't clean it and all that dust eventually ruins the look. Once it's stapled on the valance (pelmet) you can't take it down to wash or take to the cleaners like you can curtains and yet with all the furbelows and loops, it's too hard to vacuum and once they get full of dust they have to be torn down and sent to a thrift store. So I think you hit the right balance of beauty but simple and easy to keep clean!

, This is pretty but not practical for keeping clean Also keep in mind that kitchens usually have greasy smoke to deal with too so window treatments need to be easy to clean