Repurposed CD Case Candle Holders

$5

Isn't the weather just gorgeous right now? We’ve been spending most of our evenings outside and light a few candles while we chat about nothing and everything. There’s only one problem though. When Mother Nature's puts that vacuum cleaner of hers on to blow away those beautiful fall leaves, she tends to blow out all the candles too  We needed some romantic candle holders to protect the flame and add a little magic . Fortunately we had a whole bunch of empty CD cases and they were perfect for making these beauties.
If you want to make your own all you need is:
  • Empty CD cases
  • Scissors and all purpose glue.
  • A pretty die and self adhesive card stock OR stencil and black spray paint
Start by removing the bits that attach the lid to the base. You can break them off or use a pair of scissors. Scissors are probably better since it leaves a cleaner cut. If you you have a die cutting machine, cut dies to fo fit on the CD cases or use a pretty stencil and some black spray paint to add a design on 4 of the CD cases.
Glue the cases together and then glue the fifth CD to the bottom to form a stable base. Add a candle. Not too big, you don’t want the plastic to melt  Safety first. CD cases are made from general purpose polystyrene (GPPS) and will melt if they come into direct contact with the flame. So please be careful.
I just love the way it looks and how easy they were to make.
So now if that windy vacuum cleaner starts blowing we can still sit outside and watch the leaves dance by candle light

P.S Did you know that CD cases make really awesome shelves too? You can find that tutorial here.

Michelle Leslie

• Wmsfamily

Couldn't you have used the two cases you broke apart opened and then glued together? I don't have any cd used or not to check out so I don't know that's why I'm asking. I do love the stencil you created and the idea!

• Em

You COULD use two but as you can see from the authors pictures that most cases have the circle part on the one side, not totally clear. I also agree with Vfiorina. Battery operated candles instead of real since someone could bump and the plastic WILL catch fire.

• Denise Ploof DeForge

Does anyone else think that fire and plastic don't go well together?
    • Antoinette Bennett

I don't think it was intended for candles to be left forever, just for ambiance. You what you have, including common sense? Sorry I normally don't comment, I just make the beautiful items or not and modify them to suit my needs. Not everyone uses battery operated candles because you have to dispose of them properly. Which, depending on the state you live in can be complicated.

• Ardale

I'd like to ask what type of glue did you use to glue your cases together that would stand up outside? Very pretty and useful way to use those empty cases lying around. I would opt to use either the battery powered candles or the tea candles in candle cups. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing.

• Michelle Leslie

You're most welcome Ardale, I'm glad you enjoyed the idea. We used E6000 to glue the cases together. It's weatherproof. You can also use super glue

• Elaine Lee

Cute idea, however, I've used battery operated t-lights

for a long time as cleaner and safer. I have a set of 3 different sized white candles on display on my buffet I've had for years that have pretty white bows adorning them and they burn with oil, however, have never filled them. Thank you for this idea. Will pass on to my very crafty sister-in-law as well.

• Maggie Ann

I love the "die" link! Die Hard, starring Bruce Willis!