DIY Up-Cycled Plastic Container

45K Views
Turn plastic container into a cute plastic bag dispenser
Time: 2 HoursCost: $5Difficulty: Easy
  • diy up cycled plastic container
  • diy up cycled plastic container
 Dry Completely and paint it white – by painting the outer exterior this gives the tape a rough surface to stick upon. For me, the drying time was quick, but this will depend on the temperature and conditions in your area.
  • diy up cycled plastic container
Choose your washi tape colors – I chose to do a rainbow theme of tape consisting of a  , since color is all around me. I would recommend choosing at least 3-4 varieties to keep the pattern visually interesting but this is really up to you
  • diy up cycled plastic container
Find the “seam” on the plastic container and place your tape end on that line and wrap the tape around your container, making sure it is level and adhered as you go. For the size container I used, I needed about a 11 inch piece of tape for the circumference of the container of each color, but you can use a piece of ribbon or tape to measure this.
  • diy up cycled plastic container
Once you are pleased with the design, get a clear varnish – I used the   – this gave me a nice solid protector coat and a no gloss finish. I knew that this would be inside and away from water and dirts, I wanted a protector for the dust and general dirt particles.
  • diy up cycled plastic container
While the container dries from the varnish, gather your plastic bags and begin the flattening and folding process.
  • diy up cycled plastic container
To fold the bags for easy dispensing first, flatten the bag the best you can on a flat surface such as a counter, and then fold in half meeting the handles together. I found it easier to fold numerous bags and stack them together and set aside.
  • diy up cycled plastic container
Lay the bag back on the counter, and starting with the handles begin the roll the bag left to right, When you are half way through rolling the bag, grab another plastic bag and repeat the folding you did to the previous bag, and place it handle side to the left and with the body sticking out past the previous bag. Continue the rolling until you have a collection of about 25 bags.
  • diy up cycled plastic container
Once you have completed your 25 bag roll, either measure or place the bags in the container to make sure it fits – this can be a snug fit or loose – either way works. You should have a handle sticking up from the middle of the roll.
  • diy up cycled plastic container
Get the container that you had set aside and place the handle that is sticking up through the hole and snap the top down.
  • diy up cycled plastic container
As a finishing, I got a contrasting piece of washi tap and placed in vertical down the seam of the side of the container. I made sure this was darker so it would cover the torn edges of my wash tape. I then used a plastic covered label and placed in on the top of the seam coverage piece.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 25, 2018 10:03 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Jennifer Sunstein-Henberger

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

• Wendy
    Wendy

Fantastic idea! Thank you for sharing!

• MadameRã
      MadameRã Australia

This is another cute idea, though i personally would find rolling bags always very bothersome..
      I find old very large tote bags(from op shops) quite appealing; i use a hession one i painted gold, hung a large enough long length hook near the fridge somewhere & find this method easier & very neat, along with style. Different cheap tote bags are easy to add different paints & fabrics on & can be used all over the place for extra storage, especially clothing~ hang in a pattern on the wall & attach sml picture frames to the front of bags so pics can be seen in addition for excellent storage use.
      *I must say i do like this idea for the many face wipes that get used here in summer, by all sorts, so a larger holding container means more wipes it can hold:)))