Stair Railing Remodel

$6500
1 Week
Advanced

We needed to update our dated and dangerous stair rail, especially with two young children. The way it transformed our entire house is remarkable and worth every penny. Here's how we did it.
The railing was original from when the house was built in 1979.
It was wobbly and the opening between the balusters was wide enough to be dangerous with two young children.
The lighting had been updated at some point but was still not our style.
We decided to give it our own look. And here is the finished product.
The square balusters and darker stain to match our floors make this traditional wood railing feel modern without being trendy.
We replaced the flush mount light at the top of the stairs with fixture from Home Depot.
Not only is the railing now safe, it makes the entire house feel warm.
New four light chandelier from Joss and Main.
New entry fixture from Joss and Main. Hope you enjoyed watching our makeover!

Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
Alice Faggi

• Dee Hoertz
    Dee Hoertz

Amazing updated look. If I may ask, did you do the work yourself? We have a similar rail we would like to change (but much smaller project than yours) and I would love to use your look for inspiration.
    • Alice Faggi
      Alice Faggi

Thank you! We've since added a gate at the bottom of the stairs to keep the baby from climbing unsupervised.

• Can14874581
    Can14874581

The stairs look beautiful but did you do it yourselves ? if so how? What materials did you use? Did you cover the spindles or replace them? Just wanted to know if this is a diy or did you hire someone?
    • Alice Faggi
      Alice Faggi

We hired this out to Kleinsmith out of San Diego. They replaced everything. It could be a DIY but for someone with carpentry skills. Way beyond our skill level!!
  • Eroque022810
    Eroque022810

Gorgeous looks like it belongs on the cover of a magazine! Question how awful was the wood on stairs once carpet was removed? I have a can of worms here. I want to remove my carpet on our stairs but am scared to look by removing some since then I will be stuck! I personally hate carpet because we all have allergies and I hate having to ask people to remove their shows to step on our carpeted LR/DR. So I don't but you know how stairs really show the dirt no matter how you vacuum and how you deep clean?
    • Cheryl Biermann
      Cheryl Biermann

The stairs look so safe! Something about solidity adds beauty to any structure. We need to do this going down to our basement, but I know what mess awaits me under there and I am putting it off.

• Toby Smith
    Toby Smith

Loo
  • Ijensen
    Ijensen

We are in the process of doing something similar. I love the square balusters and color of stain you used on the posts and railing. Very nice!!!