Asked on Nov 6, 2017

Do I have to sand shiplap before I paint it ?

Jessica ManfrediJoy30150932Malhotte
+7

It’s not real shiplap just boards that we made to look like shiplap.
  • Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Not if you don't want too. depends if you want the Rustic look.................
  • Rhoda
    Rhoda

I agree that it depends on the look you want.
  • Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

Exactly. what Johnvallance82 said. I was just going to say it the other way. Meaning yes, sand it unless you want the rustic look. LOL [waving] Hi John, we think alike.
  • It depends on the look you want, but I would sand it a bit to remove any rough spots/edges.
  • Sharon
    Sharon

I would sand it cause if its rough it catches dust and is hard to clean.
  • Malhotte
    Malhotte

You will need a stain blocking spot primer for those knots or they will bleed through. I usually prime, and then sand, because the primer firms up and raises the grain, making it easier to sand than when the wood is raw and soft.
  • Joy30150932
    Joy30150932

I agree with Malhotte. The knots will bleed through after a while. Be sure to use the primer. A good vacuum will help to keep it clean.
  • Jessica Manfredi
    Jessica Manfredi

Most surfaces have to be at least lightly sanded for better adhesion of the paint or stain. Not sure why this would be any different. Light sanding then wiped down with a clean cloth to get wood dust off. Use a cloth that won't catch on the wood and leave "fuzzies". Even dampening it the tiniest bit helps...