Tin Can Lid Ornaments
The internet and pinterest are full of ideas for repurposing tin can lids. You can use them on the roof on birdhouses, decorating a table top, or making quick and easy Christmas ornaments.
Let's gather these items, so we can get started:
* Safety Can Opener
* Tin can lids (mine are from broth cans & canned vegetable cans)
* Paint ( I used sample latex house paint that I got from Lowes in the paint clearance area and paint I had left over from painting rooms)
* Scrapbook paper (optional - use in place of paint)
* Small paint brush
* Small stencil brush
* Ribbon or yarn
* Circle or scallop paper punch ( optional - mine is 2.5 inch circle that fits inside the lids or cut circles to fit inside of the lid)
* Christmas cards/clipart/small holiday decorations/dimensional stickers
* Glitter - optional
Cut the lids off the tin cans with a Safety Can Opener so there are no sharp edges. Paint the lids different colors; if needed, paint on a second coat of paint. Accent them by stenciling a coordinating color around the outer part of the lid or all over.
**You can also sprinkle glitter on the lid while the paint is still wet.
Optional: you can punch out or cut out scrapbook paper to use in place of paint.
Punch out pictures from Christmas cards, use clip art, or use small decorations/dimensional stickers. Glue the embellishments to the middle of the can lid.
Glue on ribbon or yarn as a hanger.
Yeah! You're done with your Christmas ornaments.
Here's some other examples of tin can lid ornaments that I have done. On a few of them, I used scrapbook paper as background color instead of paint. On these I used dimensional stickers and small Christmas decorations.
Close up of additional ornaments.
Another close up.
Side note: If you use Swanson Broth, I have found that the top and bottom lids can be removed with the safety can opener. So you get two lids out of one can. Yeah!!!
See all materials
Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. More info
Top Hometalk Projects
To see more: http://www.facebook.com/handcreateddesigns