Tin Can Lid Ornaments

$5

The internet and pinterest are full of ideas for repurposing tin can lids. You can use them on the roof on birdhouses, decorating a table top, or making quick and easy Christmas ornaments.
Tin can lids
Let's gather these items, so we can get started:
* Safety Can Opener
* Tin can lids (mine are from broth cans & canned vegetable cans)
* Paint ( I used sample latex house paint that I got from Lowes in the paint clearance area and paint I had left over from painting rooms)
* Scrapbook paper (optional - use in place of paint)
* Small paint brush
* Small stencil brush
* Ribbon or yarn
* Circle or scallop paper punch ( optional - mine is 2.5 inch circle that fits inside the lids or cut circles to fit inside of the lid)
* Christmas cards/clipart/small holiday decorations/dimensional stickers
* Glitter - optional
Paint lids in different colors
Cut the lids off the tin cans with a Safety Can Opener so there are no sharp edges. Paint the lids different colors; if needed, paint on a second coat of paint. Accent them by stenciling a coordinating color around the outer part of the lid or all over.
**You can also sprinkle glitter on the lid while the paint is still wet.
Optional: you can punch out or cut out scrapbook paper to use in place of paint.
Punch out pictures
Punch out pictures from Christmas cards, use clip art, or use small decorations/dimensional stickers. Glue the embellishments to the middle of the can lid.
Glue on ribbon/yarn hanger
Glue on ribbon or yarn as a hanger.
Finished ornaments
Yeah! You're done with your Christmas ornaments.
Here's some other examples of tin can lid ornaments that I have done. On a few of them, I used scrapbook paper as background color instead of paint. On these I used dimensional stickers and small Christmas decorations.
Close up
Close up of additional ornaments.
Additional close up
Another close up.
Side note: If you use Swanson Broth, I have found that the top and bottom lids can be removed with the safety can opener. So you get two lids out of one can. Yeah!!!

Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
15 Clever Repurposing Ideas That Will Add Some Creativity to Your Home

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/handcreateddesigns

• Nan
    Nan

Nursing Homes & VA Homes & Hospitals......YES!!! Thank You

• Yucca wren
    Yucca wren

This project brought back memories of my childhood in the 40s and 50s. My mom saved magazines and we cut out their pictures and glued them on to the lids (no safety edges back then!). Thank you.