Misty Gaines-Johnson
Misty Gaines-Johnson
  • Tutorial Team
  • Wittmann, AZ

Making an Old Dresser Set New Again

$0
Advanced

I love getting really cheap or free furniture to makeover. I have become the go to person when friends or family want to get rid of furniture, that is how I obtained this set. I really liked it because it was not overly heavy but was still solid wood. It was in a teenagers bedroom so there was fingernail polish and drawing from a marker all over it. I had to sand completely down with 120grit then 220 grit sand paper. I also replaced the handles, I had silver ones so I spray painted them with a rubbed bronze and then steel wooled them to make them more rustic to go with the pieces. I thought the set was boring and everyone paints furniture now days (even me) and my stain shading pieces have become increasingly popular so I thought I might as well stain shade these. Stain shading is a process of painting a design on wood using only stain. I use a combination of brushes and just my fingers to create my designs. I do not use stencils. There are some really good tutorials out there for stain shading...just google or go to Pinterest and search stain shading, there are even a few here on Hometalk. There are some amazing pieces out there! For these pieces I chose a sunflower and a sunflower/hummingbird combination. I used miniwax ebony stain and sealed with glossy wipe on poly to seal. Remember to let your stain dry completly...at least 24 hour before sealing. I would also like to add that the drawers did not want to slide very smoothly and that is a big deal for dressers so I took a bar of soap and rubbed it on the drawer guides, it really helps them pull out smoother.
making an old dresser set new again
making an old dresser set new again
Stain and poly I used and the spray paint for the handles
making an old dresser set new again
making an old dresser set new again
making an old dresser set new again
making an old dresser set new again
All sanded
making an old dresser set new again
Sanded and ready to go
making an old dresser set new again
Sanded and ready to go
making an old dresser set new again
Final finish!

To see more: http://www.facebook.com/memawslovelyglass

• Tammy Tyler Keem

Did you burn the picture on or paint it?
    • Susan Fillingim

Tammy Tyler Keem, her description of applying the pictures on the furniture is definitely a "must-read".
  • Du

Looking at this, it appears the stain shading with your fingers was in reverse? Since both the bird and sunflowers are light with stained areas
    within the figures? Am I missing something in the instructions?
    • Misty Gaines-Johnson

WHen applying it is done lightly, when I dip my brush or finger wrapped in a cloth into the stain I dab, dab, dab the excess that way there is no stain to bleed. I started learning this process by sanding and staining pieces of wood, I woul draw circles and then stars then simple flowers. I did this before trying on something big and it really helped me learn how to do it.

• Martha

Where did you get the sunflower and humming bird decal