Elizabeth Madden
Elizabeth Madden
  • Colchester, IL

Refurbished hutch

I have always wanted a china cabinet, or some type of custom cabinetry to show off my antique glassware, but just didn't have the budget to get one. After my husband came home from Afghanistan and had some free time, we decided to redo our kitchen ourselves. One thing I made sure was on the list was that cabinet.
While browsing in a consignment shop one day, we came across the top of a vintage Ethan Allen hutch. The hutch was shoved in the back corner of the back room; it was obvious they thought no one would want it, but when I saw it I knew what it could be. I explained my vision to my husband, we bought it, and the transformation began.
We started by cutting the legs and scroll work off the bottom and put on a coat of paint. My husband made a set of cubbies that followed the lines of the hutch. We painted those with the same paint we had used on the hutch and mounted the cubbies to the wall. We then mounted the hutch to the wall and the top of the cubbies. We changed out the knobs from while porcelain to cast iron knobs that matched our kitchen cabinets and set out to find baskets that would finish the look. While at the store I spotted some wooden boxes that I liked, but I was not wild about the price. My husband said, "I can make those." We went home and in about an hour I had 4 boxes! I stained them added handled and the cabinet was done! I am one happy camper. ;)
Here's the finished product, I just love it and LOVE the fact that we did it!
This is what the hutch looked like when we bought it, but ours didn't have the bottom buffet.
Here's a picture of our hutch before we started cutting. I forgot to take a picture while it was upright.

• Colleen

How did you mount the hutch top to the wall? Thank you! Colleen

• Colleen Brown

Great post and THANK YOU BOTH FOR YOUR HUSBAND'S SERVICE!

• She1485193

Absolutely beautiful and how good for a VET to renew something while readjusting. GOD BLESS! And the fact that he is a talented carpenter helps a lot!