Snow Sticks

71K Views
I came up with this idea 25+ yrs ago and my daughter recreated it for gifts for the holidays.
It has held up beautifully over the years and everyone loved them.
Origionally they were a Brownie Girl
scout craft.
So easy and fun.
Time: 2 HoursCost: $5Difficulty: Easy
  • snow sticks
Go to the hardware store and ask for the longer paint sticks. I think they are 18". This is free!
  • snow sticks
We choose these colors at $1.36 per bottle. One thing not shown is a clear coat to seal it in. We like glossy.
  • snow sticks
Here is my daughter, Deanna happily painting away. We didn't prime the wood but you could. She had to sand the logo off of the one side.

• snow sticks
Measure the inches off after painting your base color.
  • snow sticks
On the right is the old stick I made many years ago.
  • snow sticks
Here they all are decorated with the snowman and snow. To make snow just use the back of the paint brush and dab dots.
We choose, Let it snow as the saying under the snowman, as it's a measuring stick but do what you like. In the origional one I used a stencil because my writing is terrible.
She was able to paint on the letters and numbers.
We aded a ribbon on the top to hang it at the front door for those snowy days. ❄️
Tie the ribbon tightly to the stick to hold it. Then have enough ribbon to hang on a door knob.
I don't condone snow but this has been fun and a yearly tradition to hang on the door knob.

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of May 14, 2018 10:40 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.