A Garden in the Shade

Colorful and shade are not to adjectives many people would think belong in the same sentence, but today I want to show you a front and back garden where the homeowner has managed to combine these two very words.
To read more and see additional images:
Part 1:
http://threedogsinagarden.blogspot.ca/2013/03/a-garden-in-shade-part-1.html
Part 2:
http://threedogsinagarden.blogspot.ca/2013/03/a-garden-in-shade-part-2.html
Let's start our tour at the front of the house.
Right about where I was standing when I took this picture, there was a mature tree which casts most of the front yard into shade and half-shade.
This homeowner has mixed different colored heuchera and hostas in a way that I haven't quite seen before. Though there isn't that much in flower, it is still colorful.
Along the driveway, there is a bit more sunlight and she has added Japanese Blood Grass into the mix. (Warning: Before you add Japanese Blood Grass to your wish list for spring, be aware that it can be a bit invasive.)
Pretty Japanese birdbath
This is an arbor that leads into a small corner nook that is both half-shade (to the left) and full sun (on the right).
Colorful annuals in the sunny part of the garden.
A small container planting of succulents.

Three Dogs in a Garden

• Agn3447313

can the Hosta survive in an area that has no sun such as under a big shade tree?

• Sarah

I have a lot of hostas and they do have a lot of shade, but they do get some sun too.

• Mary Harwell

I see a lot of plants being grown in bird baths. How do you do drainage is a container that is supposed to retain water? I have a concrete bird bath that I would really like to try, but its shallow and if I put pebbles to help with drainage there won't be room for soil. Thanks for your help.

• Jane Hutchinson

What vines grow and flower in shade?
    • Three Dogs in a Garden

There are a number of shady vine options, but some are problematic in that they can get out of control and become invasive. Ivy-like vines (English Ivy, Porcelain Vine and Virginia Creeper) are a perfect examples. They can get out of hand. Sweet Autumn Clematis is another vine often sold for shade that can be invasive. I mention all this, so if you go to the garden centre for options, you are armed with a bit of caution. I have a few options that don't have this issue. Climbing Hydrangea has white flowers and will work in shade. It does like somewhat moist conditions especially in the early stages when it is getting established. The only drawback is that it is slow to get established. You can see a climbing hydrangea in this garden: http://threedogsinagarden.blogspot.ca/2014/04/joes-garden-part-1.html You can also train a euonymus up a support. One great advantage is that its evergreen. Some roses will tolerate part-shade. Rambling roses bloom once and often scramble up trees. Here are ideas on how to dress up a wall or fence: http://threedogsinagarden.blogspot.ca/2014/02/10-great-ways-to-dress-up-wall-or-fence.html Hope this helps.

• Bryan's Workshop

Wow, perfect! You have an awesome garden!!

• Karen Mitchell

You obviously don;t have any pets. Thats a good thing with this garden. Very nice, I used to have one just as lovely. Well done!
    • Karen Mitchell

Not at all, just that there are quite a few plants that are toxic for them. I see a few there, THAT is all. Good on you for planting safely Three Dogs In A Garden