DIY Christmas Tree Topiary

$50

My oversized fireplace and mantel calls for some big Christmas decorating. This year I decided that would be a pair of tall thin Christmas trees. Not finding exactly what I wanted meant I had to create these pretty DIY trees! You can make one of these and decorate it to coordinate with your holiday decor!
Begin with a styrofoam cone and some green burlap. Wrap the entire cone with a single layer of the burlap, securing it with greening or "S" pins. Glue a piece of the green burlap or green felt to the bottom of your cone.
Next, take your artificial greenery and begin attaching it from the bottom up to your tree! I used a base of faux cedar and then added some artificial spruce and pine to mine.

Finish off the foliage part of your tree with whatever greenery you like. I was going for a coastal look. so I added some gray-green foliage, lamb's ears and eucalyptus. The tiny pine cones you see were part of my greenery.
Find a pot or urn with substantial weight to support your tree. You can always add stones or plaster of paris to your pot if needed. I took a simple urn and painted it silver for my tree base.
I wedged a sturdy block of styrofoam in the bottom of my urn and then wedged two smaller pieces on either side of a dowel rod 1/2″ in diameter and 18″ tall.   You can stain or paint your dowel if you would like.
The tree should be carefully pushed down over the dowel rod.  I put a layer of sheet moss over the styrofoam.
Every tree needs a star on top, right? Actually, you could use anything for your tree topper. I selected a starfish to go with my coastal theme. I simply turned it over and used hot glue to attach a heavy weight wire. The wire was then pushed carefully into the top of my tree.
Add ornaments or a bow, or even faux snow to the bottom of your tree and you are ready to display it!
Take small ornaments and add a little drop of hot glue to the caps of each ornament to make sure they didn’t pop off of their caps. Use one of those “S” pins threaded through the top of each ornament to be able to push them into the Styrofoam tree.
Add ornaments or a bow, or even faux snow to the bottom of your tree and you are ready to display it! For more details and photos, check it out at Celebrate and Decorate.com

30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Chloe Crabtree