How to safely replace an electric receptacle

+4
  • Dfm Dfm on Nov 10, 2017
    Kill the power. Unscrew outlet cover. Inspect wiring. Chewed, intact? Note positive and neg, ground. Second check...is the power actually off To that box. Switch the wire 1 at a time. When all wires back in place, turn power on and and plug in a lamp. Lamp working....your good.
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Nov 10, 2017
    Unless you are familiar with changing an outlet, you don't want to risk your life doing it. Have someone who has done it before show you or tell you what to do while you are doing it. I am lucky that I have a hubby that can do all electric and doesn't even shut down the juice to the outlet when he changes it and doesn't even get a shock out of it. Please get help from someone who has done it before, a neighbor, friend or relative may have the know how to teach you the right way to do it so that you will not get hurt. Good luck!
    • TZ TZ on Nov 11, 2017
      Thanks! I have done it before but I knew which circuit breaker to flip. I think I'll phone a friend on this one.
  • TZ TZ on Nov 11, 2017
    Ensuring that the power is off is my fear of doing this. The circuit box isn't labeled and I can't find anything else that doesn't have power. I just don't want to pay the high price for an electrician but I also don't want to fry myself.
  • Kim Kim on Nov 11, 2017
    Toni, if you have any friends that are engineers, HVAC repair people, etc., they will have the expertise to do this. Otherwise, abandon the outlet until you can hire an electrician to fix it. I would cap it off with child-proof plugs to remind myself not to use it. Be wise.