Another Example of a Beautiful Shade Garden

I think I struck a cord with my last post highlighting a small suburban shade garden. Obviously gardeners are hungry for planting suggestions for shade. In this post, I am featuring plantings from the shady sections of a large private garden in rural Ontario called Garden Canadensis. The blog post has detailed planting notes with links to even more information:
http://threedogsinagarden.blogspot.ca/2014/03/garden-canadensis-part-2-planting.html
You can check out the rest of the garden in this blog post:http://threedogsinagarden.blogspot.ca/2014/03/garden-canadensis-this-is-one-garden.html
Throughout the garden, and especially along its outer perimeter, mature trees cast pockets of  'Garden Canadensis' into shade and part shade.
Throughout the garden, and especially along its outer perimeter, mature trees cast pockets of 'Garden Canadensis' into shade and part shade.
Heuchera Flower
Heuchera Flower
A mix of Heuchera and the green mounded plant is a 10 yr. old Buxus microphylla 'Kingsville'. See the blog post for details.
What I think will surprise and delight you is just how vibrant shady areas in a garden can be.
Dicentra 'Stuart Boothman' and Hosta 'Dancing in the Rain'
another example of a beautiful shade garden, flowers, gardening, outdoor living
Planting Combination: On the top left is Hosta 'Sagae'. Below it is lime colored Hosta ' Blaze of Glory'. With tiny white flowers in the centre is Corydallis ochroleuca. See the blog post for more info.
Japanese Maple, Acer palmatum 'Shigitasu sawa'
Plant Combination: Brunnera 'Jack Frost' (left) with Heuchera 'Silver Scroll' (in the foreground) and Hosta 'Fire and Ice' (in the upper right).
The blue-green Hosta 'Regal Splendor'. The lime colored hosta in foreground is Hosta 'Silk Kimono'.
Three Dogs in a Garden

• Jye5534572

Can these shade succulents be grown outdoors in Arizona? Which succulents work best in Arizona?

• Jamie Peterson

This garden is in Canada and these are mostly hostas and heucheras which aren't succulents...sorry

• Three Dogs in a Garden

This is indeed a garden in Canada. There aren't any succulents in this garden. As Jamie points outing the previous answer, there are instead hostas, heuchera and other plants which might get a little thirsty in Arizona.If you are looking for some information on Succulents Jyerke, may I recommend the book "Succulents Simplified" by Debra Lee Baldwin. It is not a new book, so you may be able to find it at your local library. Here is a link to a Good Reads description of the book:http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15953902-succulents-simplified Hope that helps!

• Suzanne

Do you know what type of Japanese maple is in the 7th (and background of the 6th) photo? Thank you.

• Tru13031718

I have a area with big trees there is grass but the grass do not want to grow. I have paving around the grass what must i do in that area of the grass

• Three Dogs in a Garden

I would forget the grass. Grass is never going to do well in the kind of shade you are indicating. There is no hint to your location/gardening zone so I am reluctant to suggest plants. There are two types of shade: dry shade and moist shade. Both have different types of plants that do best. I'd go with a mix of shade loving plants or a ground cover plant that will spread out to fill in the area. While using a single plant may seem like the easy solution, some ground covers can be quite aggressive and may spread beyond the area if you do not have some sort of edging. I don't have enough information about your garden and growing conditions to offer much more advice at this time.

• TheHoneycombHome

Beautiful!!

• Carol Massie

I live in the southwest corner of Wyoming, zones 4 & 5. What shade plants & deer resistant plants can I grow with either purple or white flowers? That's my color scheme.

• Three Dogs in a Garden

@Carol Massie Canada is a long way from Wyoming, but I am guessing we are talking about deer resistant plants for dry shade. You would want to avoid plants that like moist shade like hostas and astilbe. A few suggestions: Heuchera or Coral Bells, Lady's Mantle, Valerian (nice fragrance), Solomon Seal. Check out this book: Planting the Dry Shade Garden by Graham Rice.