Pine Cone Christmas Trees

$10

For me one of the best things I love about Hometalk is the inspiration I get from others in the community for DIY crafts and projects. The project I'm sharing today is one such example. Once I saw the project I had to run out to the store and give it a try myself! I can't find the original post as it was from 2 or 3 years ago, but will update this once I do. I'm sharing my version just to show how easy it is. UPDATE: I found it! Click to see the Karen's original project from 2012. Her trees are really inspiring!!!
This project is easy to assemble and I love the rustic simplicity of the finished product. These are fun to make to decorate your home for the holidays, to sell, or to give as gifts. This is also a fun project to do with kids! For younger children you will probably need to remove the pine cone scales for them.
Remove the pine cone scales using a pair of pliers. Some parts of the pine cone are a little bit sharp, so I find it's easiest to wear a pair of gloves during this stage.
Gather the scales within easy reach of your hot glue gun.
Affix the pine cone scales with the hot glue around the base of the tree form.
Continue attaching the scales in rows.
Overlap the pine cones to cover bare spots from the previous row.
I like to keep my trees rustic, but a little bling never hurts either. So feel free to be creative and use embellishments such as fake snow, glitter, beads, berries, etc. I hope this project inspires you to be crafty and creative this holiday season! Please feel free to stop by my blog, The Black Sheep Shoppe, to visit and see other projects.

(The cost of the project will vary as to whether or not you have free access to large pine cones and whether you make your own tree form. )

Tree form (I used a pre-made form but you could make one out of poster...

Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
Patricia

• Sandy

How many pine cones did you use for the large trees?
    • Patricia

I'm so glad to hear the trees turned out well for you Sandy. I'm going to make some more as well this year. :-)

• Sandy

If you use wild pine cones (from the yard) how do you get rid of the bugs. I have a bag from last year and they are dried but do you think there still is bugs in them?

• 1984roro

well done...these look terrific!
  • Sharon Hinshaw-Payne

These are great gifts! Making mine from last years cinnamon scented pine cones I bought at Lowes. The scent is faint on those, so time for new ones, and I'll use the new ones next year!

• Patricia

Wow the cinnamon scented pine cones is a great idea Sharon! I think I will give that a try. :-)