Portable Plastic Planter

$5.00

Those of you who follow me know I am always trying to repurpose old plastic containers. Some of you have seen my Coffee Containers that I made into Canisters. I also made a Kleenex box and a crayon holder out of diaper changing wipes containers. A lady named Meem Kaplan commented on the Kleenex box post that she used them to start seedlings and for cuttings. The idea kept coming to mind recently when I was trying to find a portable container for an herb garden I wanted for my kitchen window. This is what I came up with. It would be great as a seed starter as well! Complete tutorial is below.
My plant-growing skills could use some help, but my plants sure look good in their new home!
I started with this -an empty Huggies wipes container - ran it through the dishwasher. That little picture doesn't come off so I painted over it.
My husband drilled some holes in the bottom - 6 holes.
This color matches my kitchen so my husband sprayed it with Primer for Plastics by Rustoleum and then with this olive color from Krylon.
This pictures came from @karen - the graphics fairy's free printables. I printed them off, cut them out and Mod Podged them on.
Bought this 98 cent bag of potting soil and I had these seeds. I also had the glass beads I picked up at a yard sale once for 50 cents.
Put the glass beads (or peanuts or gravel or whatever you have) in the bottom....
Fill with potting soil and plant your seeds or plants.
These are my two completed planters. They fit perfectly into my window sill and I will be making one more to hold 2 more herb plants.

Kitchen Kelli

• Lindsay Elizabeth Hicks

What is the purpose of the glass beads? I'm blanking right now, haven't done any sort of gardening in a very long time.
    Looks great btw! I never would have thought of this
    • Kitchen Kelli

Thank you! The glass beads, or gravel or aquarium rocks or whatever you have are all for the same purpose: Put in the bottom so there is good drainage through the dirt! Thanks for asking!

• 1401470

Cut idea and perfect for starting seeds.