Farmhouse Thrift Store Upcycle

$10

Who doesn't love a great thrift store find?! Whenever I get the chance to go to the local "Bargain Barn", I am never disappointed. This time around, I found a large mirror on sale, but I wasn't loving the frame. Nothing a little paint and elbow grease can't fix!

Step one: Find a framed mirror! This lovely golden framed mirror was $8.00 at my local thrift store.

Step Two: Gather your supplies. I used what I already had on hand, which includes a sample sized paint can of "antique white" from Valspar, a small paint brush and some scotch tape to save money.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd use painters tape, some kraft paper, and some spray paint :) The process of painting will go so much faster and smoother with spray paint verses hand brushing.

This is what the mirror looked like before. As you can see in the photo, I used the scotch tape to tape off the edges of the mirror so that I could paint the edges of the frame.

Step three: Start painting! :) Here is a Facebook Live video of me demonstrating how I painted the frame. (The video did get cut off due to connection). As mentioned above, spray paint would have been a lot easier to work with, but since I didn't have any on hand but did have this sampler sized paint, I used a paint brush to use up what I already had on hand. After I finished painting it with three coats, I let it dry, then hung it up with a homemade evergreen wreath for this year's Christmas decor. Check out the final results below!

If you loved how this easy project turned out and would love to try it for yourself, please share this project and pin!

Happy DIYing,

Brianna

Paint - Valspar Sampler

15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
Brianna

• Gail
    Gail

Did your frame have a greenish tinge after a few weeks? I think I did something wrong, maybe I should have sealed the gold?

• Richard A McShan
    Richard A McShan

Just curious... do any of you have an idea towards recycling/repurposing that doesn't involve simply painted the item white? That seems to be the only idea any one has and is completely boring.

• Annoula
      Annoula

I have a beach theme throughout my home so I use various hues of greens, turquoise, aqua, blues. I can also see this in coral with gold accents on the raised parts for a woman's dressing room. . .or in taupe or beige with platinum accents for a more masculine look.