Farmhouse Thrift Store Upcycle

$10

Who doesn't love a great thrift store find?! Whenever I get the chance to go to the local "Bargain Barn", I am never disappointed. This time around, I found a large mirror on sale, but I wasn't loving the frame. Nothing a little paint and elbow grease can't fix!

Step one: Find a framed mirror! This lovely golden framed mirror was $8.00 at my local thrift store.

Step Two: Gather your supplies. I used what I already had on hand, which includes a sample sized paint can of "antique white" from Valspar, a small paint brush and some scotch tape to save money.

If I was starting from scratch, I'd use painters tape, some kraft paper, and some spray paint :) The process of painting will go so much faster and smoother with spray paint verses hand brushing.

This is what the mirror looked like before. As you can see in the photo, I used the scotch tape to tape off the edges of the mirror so that I could paint the edges of the frame.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

Step three: Start painting! :) Here is a Facebook Live video of me demonstrating how I painted the frame. (The video did get cut off due to connection). As mentioned above, spray paint would have been a lot easier to work with, but since I didn't have any on hand but did have this sampler sized paint, I used a paint brush to use up what I already had on hand. After I finished painting it with three coats, I let it dry, then hung it up with a homemade evergreen wreath for this year's Christmas decor. Check out the final results below!

If you loved how this easy project turned out and would love to try it for yourself, please share this project and pin!

Happy DIYing,

Brianna

Paint - Valspar Sampler

30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
23 Surprising Uses for Curtain Rings
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Brianna

• Gail

Did your frame have a greenish tinge after a few weeks? I think I did something wrong, maybe I should have sealed the gold?

• Richard A McShan

Just curious... do any of you have an idea towards recycling/repurposing that doesn't involve simply painted the item white? That seems to be the only idea any one has and is completely boring.

• Patty Mitchell

I do many different styles, colors and techniques. I love adding splashes of reds or teals throughout my house. I love the grunge look so a lot of times I use that just to tone down the brightness and it allows everything to flow. I have 6 large dogs white is not a good match for my house lol. Sometimes I just have to use courage and go for it on my projects.

I have an open cabinet that I’m going to be working on soon and I have a patterned fabric (antique white with red designs) that I will decoupage into the back to add a good splash of color.