Total Kitchen Transformation Under $150

$150

When I first walked up to this house, it was gorgeous. Was it my style? Not necessarily. Did it scream Texas? Yes, which I loved. My love for colonial & craftsman homes are a few and far between here in Texas. In Texas, you get stone, stone & more stone.

We walked in to tour this spec home. I did not like it, if we are being honest. The outside was gorgeous, the inside... meh, it was a spec home! It had brown kitchen cabinets with a backsplash I wasn't too fond of either. It wasn't my dream house but it was a crazy good deal and in a great neighborhood. My husband said "I'll make this your dream kitchen!" Swoon! Am I right? What a guy.

So, here is the kitchen in all it's glory. A lot of people around me loved it, saying it's perfect, yada, yada, yada. Nope, not for me. It also felt too dark in there. I love white because it instantly brightens up your space. I knew what my vision was instantly.

I was so nervous to paint the kitchen. It took me almost a whole YEAR to get the courage to do it! (Boy, I'm so glad I did though!)

We used a chalk paint from Devine Color by Valspar. It required no sanding, none of that time consuming stuff. For a DIY'er, it's a dream. I started a whole assembly line. We were truly learning as we went. I loved working with chalk paint. It was a little tricky at first but it gets better. It's amazing coverage and you don't use a lot which equals to not spending a lot.

We could have stopped here. The cabinets were white, the kitchen was so much brighter! It looked great but I just felt it wasn't done yet. I didn't want to spend the money and frankly the time to take this backsplash out. So, I did something crazy... super crazy! I painted the backsplash. Yes, I sure did. I was so nervous but I just knew my vision wasn't complete.

Eeeek!!! I did it and instantly loved it! I knew I made the right choice & I couldn't wait to see the final product. I used the same paint as the cabinets. And sealed it with poly (the water based, the blue one not the yellow) I know you are thinking... too much white, lady. Just wait your pretty little face, some change is coming ;)

After painting, we added shelves the the backsplash. Yes, shelves on a backsplash! Mind blown!

The very last thing we did was add some cabinet & drawer hardware. I decided to go with knobs for the cabinets and these adorable pulls for the drawers. All black matte, of course. And it was complete. My kitchen was perfect.

I absolutely love the way it turned out. Look how bright it looks! We spent roughly $150 for everything. I can only imagine how expensive it would have been to have the cabinets painted professionally or replaced entirely as well as the backsplash. No thank you! I'll take the DIY route! I mean, that's why you are reading this right now right ;) in the end, my husband kept his word. He definitely gave me my dream kitchen. Happy wife, happy life. Am I right?

31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Turn Dollar Store Laundry Basket Into Wreath Form In 8 Easy Steps
Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
18 Stunning Backsplash Ideas You Do Not Want To Miss!
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own

To see more: http://youtube.com/gracefulandlovely/

• Krisztina Kocsis

Have you been the original cabinets wood one or laminate one?

• Sherri Stinson

White is nice but a BEAR to keep clean. Any tips there?

• Lytaunie

You can always use a brown glaze over all the surfaces to give it an antique creamy white color and the glaze will sit in the deeper areas. This will then hide any constant dirt or anything. I currently have white cabinets and hate constantly having to clean them. Glazing then is on my todo list!

• Lolly

What an outstanding and stunning transformation!! Your kitchen is beautiful! Could you share where you found your shelves? I love how you decorated your kitchen too. It is perfect.

• Nancy Cordero

Your kitchen looks so lively now NOT so dark and boring.. And your decor gave it the perfect touch.. Thank You for giving it a try I read that you were nervous at first about trying it out.. I tell you this it looks absolutely beautiful.. AWESOME JOB!!! LOVE ❤️ IT!!!

• Brenda

Thinking about it. Some people use chalk paint and others clean and use special paint for cabinets. I want white but not sure as to type of paint.