Winter Planter Snowman DIY

$10

Don’t you hate spending lots of money on planter arrangements that get tossed soon after the holidays?! Yes, I knew there was some reason I made so many concrete orbs! As I stood in the kitchen and looked out over the garden this Winter Planter Snowman DIY idea popped into my head. Why not use your concrete orbs as planter decoration?! Super easy and nothing gets thrown away…

Step 1: you need to make the orbs. I’ve made them before as shown on my site but slightly revised the material in this one.

For the orbs:

• Portland cement & water
  • Balloons/Beachballs/blow-up balls.
  • Gloves
  • mixing utensils and bucket
  • Scissors
  • Fuzzy thick yarn

Step 2: Blow up the balloons or balls. I used beach balls for the larger ones and balloons for the smaller ones. You will need some bowls or something that they can rest on when setting/drying.

Mix up a thin mix of portland cement with water. It will need to be on the runnier side, like a slurry. Unwrap a bunch of yarn that is enough to wrap the sphere about 25 times. Don’t worry, you can add more later if not enough. NOTE: don’t lose the cut end in the bucket! It’s impossible to find (ask me how I know)

The colour of the yarn doesn’t matter, as it will (should)be covered completely.

Step 3: Put the wool it into the slurry and knead it well. The cement needs to get into the fibres quite well. The yarn tends to suck up all the moisture, adjust accordingly by adding a 'smidge' of water. Once it’s well covered, pull the yarn out and wrap around the ball. It can be hard to start it, wrap the end around itself once it has one full wrap, and then keep wrapping. It is similar to winding a ball of yarn or string.

Step 4: Make the snowman a hat, some mitts and a scarf out of an old seater (or reuse some old kid's ones)

Step 5: Get some branches for arms and a plant stake as the centre stick to hold them vertical. You may use 3 or 2, whatever you desire. Add some greenery around as a base.

How cute is that?! And the best thing is that after christmas they become the great accents in the garden again; no waste! They will last many years!

See the full instructions here

MadeByBarb

• Pam Giesler Bell

How did you attach the balls together?
    • Debra Taylor

I would use zip ties
    • Sea Trace Creations

Very clever idea, I'm guessing you have it in a sheltered spot? Can it take much wind because that's my biggest challenge here. If not I'll copy it for orbs but the snowman is so cute.

• Lynne

I love your idea Barb! If I was going to do this, I would use spray glue on the yarn/cement once it hardens, then sprinkle glitter on it to make it sparkle. I would also find a way to add a string of white lights inside each section to illuminate the snowman. Just a thought I wanted to share. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas! Thank you for sharing. :o)

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

On the blog post about it you can see there is a stick through the middle that pokes in the ground to hold them all.

• MadeByBarb

Yes, use a garden stake or some thin rebar to insert through them and have it well sunken in the ground or planter.

• Claudiamelugin

How much yarn did you use? Is this yarn that super thick kind?

• MadeByBarb

Yes, it's the fuzzy type. Look for ones that can absorb the concrete.

• Necee Marie

Love this! So cute ❤️ . And.. how did you lose the cut end?! Merry Christmas 🎁🎄

• Tessa

What does 'step it in. step up' mean? What's an 'old seater'?

This's really neat! Cool idea!

• Claudiamelugin

How much yarn

• MadeByBarb

That will depend on the size of ball/balloon and how wide it is. As a gauge I wrap once and then multiply that by how many times I want to wrap. I'd say to wrap at least 10x. You can however add another layer if you'd rather work with shorter pieces.

• Mary Shannon

which one is easier to get out the ball or the balloon? Have you broken one trying to get it out?

• Dawn

Balloon ia easiest

• MadeByBarb

Balloons do pop unexpectedly sometimes though. I like cheap balls as they can be deflated and using a ball pin reinflated.

• Nancy Ramos

Yes, I would definitely like to try this project. Possibly in late summer so I could be ready for the Winter Months.

Will be doing if for the Community Garden.

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful project.

• Candice Gollam

Love this. Thank you for sharing