High End Wall on a DIY Budget

$40

How to transform a wall, and a room, with inexpensive wood lath!

Yeah, I can't leave well enough alone. Good enough is never enough for me. Take our guest bath.... so so. It never felt done or right. Suddenly it hit me, a great wall idea, but all my material options were too expensive.

Alas, never fear. That means it's time to get creative. Enter wood lath. So for under forty bucks, I transformed a room like mad.

This bathroom is hardly ever used for a shower if you're concerned about the wood; it's been used maybe all of six times and won't be for years, so lath will be a-ok. But hey, this idea is great for any room in the house!

Sure, lath is tricky. It's wonky, it's bowed, it's not consistent. It's also rough and tumble. But! It's a budget saver and it actually looks great without veering into design styles I didn't want to veer into.

First I stained it with a mix of Golden Mahogany and paint thinner.

Be sure to come by my blog for the great story of how I revealed this to my unsuspecting husband over at Flipping the Flip!

Next, tacking it to the wall time. I did not plan the vertical seams but I did want an eighth of an inch between each horizontal seam. Easiest, most consistent way to get that? A free paint stirrer.

I have all sorts of great tips on this project, like how I got around the outlet and the light fixture so click the link below to be in the know!

It took a lot of trimming, to say the least. If you don't have a pneumatic nailer, either borrow from a pal or rent from a hardware store.

And there it is! Definitely a high end look on a budget!

Be sure to click the link below for all those hot tips, the fun story, and all sorts of other great stuff!

30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?
20 Ways To Incorporate Mosaics Into Your Home
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
3 Gorgeous Decor Projects In The Oh-So-Chic Geometric Style
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Bob

Love the idea and the look, What would you suggest if the lathe is going to butt up against a tub/shower enclosure? ( it is the Fiberglas king with a shower curtain. The shower is used heavily on a daily basis . So I guess my question is ; how would you suggest to finish the ends that end at the shower/tub? Then what would you suggest to use on the lathe to protect from the amount of water, steam, condensation? How exactly did you finish around outlet and light switch ?

• Alyssia Trigg-DiAmparo

Someone may have asked, but is the woodstain waterproof? Just curious because it is behind the toilet.

• Stain in itself isn’t waterproof, maybe a little resistant but if water is a concern (it’s not here as we don’t use this bathroom often), you can seal the wood with polyurethane.

• Laurie Kilts

what is the difference between shiplap and this? Is it the size of the individual pieces of wood? I have always wanted to do a ship-lap wall, should I seal all sides of my plywood strips as well?

• Shiplap is meant to mimic how ships were built while this is thin wood lath with a wider gap and not meant to create a shiplap effect.

It depends on what room you’re putting the wood (living room vs a bathroom, say) and whether you buy pre-made shiplap or create your own, and what type of wood if you create your own.

• Lisa

That looks beautiful! What a fun idea!

• Gina S.

You've have accomplished something that is amazingly beautiful. It's cost effective and no one will ever know that you didn't brake the bank. I have a water room in my master suite which I'm the only one who utilizes it so I may just try this. Thank you for sharing.