High End Wall on a DIY Budget

$40

How to transform a wall, and a room, with inexpensive wood lath!
high end designer wall on a diy budget
Yeah, I can't leave well enough alone. Good enough is never enough for me. Take our guest bath.... so so. It never felt done or right. Suddenly it hit me, a great wall idea, but all my material options were too expensive.
high end designer wall on a diy budget
Alas, never fear. That means it's time to get creative. Enter wood lath. So for under forty bucks, I transformed a room like mad.

This bathroom is hardly ever used for a shower if you're concerned about the wood; it's been used maybe all of six times and won't be for years, so lath will be a-ok. But hey, this idea is great for any room in the house!
high end designer wall on a diy budget
Sure, lath is tricky. It's wonky, it's bowed, it's not consistent. It's also rough and tumble. But! It's a budget saver and it actually looks great without veering into design styles I didn't want to veer into.

First I stained it with a mix of Golden Mahogany and paint thinner.

Be sure to come by my blog for the great story of how I revealed this to my unsuspecting husband over at Flipping the Flip!
high end designer wall on a diy budget
Next, tacking it to the wall time. I did not plan the vertical seams but I did want an eighth of an inch between each horizontal seam. Easiest, most consistent way to get that? A free paint stirrer.

I have all sorts of great tips on this project, like how I got around the outlet and the light fixture so click the link below to be in the know!
high end designer wall on a diy budget
It took a lot of trimming, to say the least. If you don't have a pneumatic nailer, either borrow from a pal or rent from a hardware store.
high end designer wall on a diy budget
And there it is! Definitely a high end look on a budget!

Be sure to click the link below for all those hot tips, the fun story, and all sorts of other great stuff!
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Victoria Williams

It looks beautiful. What is the paint color you used, it goes so well with the wood.

• Cara Motley Glenn

...The link showed one piece of lath costing $38 for one stick 48" long. That's REALLY expensive.....Maybe the wrong link was posted?

I just love, love the idea, so I'm looking up everything. You did a great job!

• Sounds like the link is awry. I think there’s an option to send feedback on it to Hometalk. Your best bet is to drop by a home improvement store where they’ll be cheap. Thanks so much!

• Susan N
    2 hours ago

I love the results! I have one bathroom so it gets used frequently for showers. There are windows and sometimes I use a fan to dry things up quickly. I would want to paint the wood instead of staining it so what are your thoughts on using primer and paint? Would the wood hold up without swelling, rotting, getting mold, etc?

• Oh a bathroom, cool! You can definitely do this. You can either look for vinyl or extruded trim, or a coated type, or you can use wood. For wood, you’d want to seal up all 4 sides, a couple coats of a good primer should do the trick, paint all 4 sides, then install. Make sure to patch up any holes in the trim well and caulk where the walls and trim meet to keep moisture out from behind. Sounds cool! Thanks for the great question!