High End Wall on a DIY Budget

$40

How to transform a wall, and a room, with inexpensive wood lath!
high end designer wall on a diy budget
Yeah, I can't leave well enough alone. Good enough is never enough for me. Take our guest bath.... so so. It never felt done or right. Suddenly it hit me, a great wall idea, but all my material options were too expensive.
high end designer wall on a diy budget
Alas, never fear. That means it's time to get creative. Enter wood lath. So for under forty bucks, I transformed a room like mad.

This bathroom is hardly ever used for a shower if you're concerned about the wood; it's been used maybe all of six times and won't be for years, so lath will be a-ok. But hey, this idea is great for any room in the house!
high end designer wall on a diy budget
Sure, lath is tricky. It's wonky, it's bowed, it's not consistent. It's also rough and tumble. But! It's a budget saver and it actually looks great without veering into design styles I didn't want to veer into.

First I stained it with a mix of Golden Mahogany and paint thinner.

Be sure to come by my blog for the great story of how I revealed this to my unsuspecting husband over at Flipping the Flip!
high end designer wall on a diy budget
Next, tacking it to the wall time. I did not plan the vertical seams but I did want an eighth of an inch between each horizontal seam. Easiest, most consistent way to get that? A free paint stirrer.

I have all sorts of great tips on this project, like how I got around the outlet and the light fixture so click the link below to be in the know!
high end designer wall on a diy budget
It took a lot of trimming, to say the least. If you don't have a pneumatic nailer, either borrow from a pal or rent from a hardware store.
high end designer wall on a diy budget
And there it is! Definitely a high end look on a budget!

Be sure to click the link below for all those hot tips, the fun story, and all sorts of other great stuff!
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of September 16, 2018 10:47 PM - More info
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Susan Newell Logan

I wonder if you could use liquid nail bc of risk of a nail going in a water line? Also, I will be replacing my privacy fence & I would like to upcycle & use some of the boards for an accent wall in my extremely small master bath. What will I need to do?

• Cate Twohill

I’ve done something similar with peel and stick flooring on a wall using liquid nails instead of a nail gun. I didn’t want to see any holes. It was on the third floor so summer heat caused warping. I went back over the warped areas and curling corners with a pin nailer and all was well. Had I known I wouldn’t see the holes, I would have only used the nail gun and not the adhesive. Becky’s right. If I change my mind, it’s gonna get ugly 😁

• Lynette Stevens

I love this look and low budget of this project as well as repurposing material. My concern is if any twisting or warping of the ends if just nailed into the drywall and not nailed into studs. How long has your project been complete? Thank you

• Thank you! I finished this project early November and all is well. This bathroom sees no action so there's no added moisture in the air. I'll keep an eye on it but the lath is very well tacked into the wall, there's no movement. Thanks!

• Lorna Clark

So, put an absorbing material behind a toilet and sink and risk hitting a waterline?

• Lis1952652

Outstanding! ...and it does look high-end!!

• Anna Ibarra

I have a downstairs 2nd master. That Is like to do this! I have left overs over plywood from another project and want to try to do this. But i am loving the modern flair it gives here. I may do this! I’ll head over your place a your place & read up on your project! Thanks for sharing, love it!