High End Wall on a DIY Budget

$40

How to transform a wall, and a room, with inexpensive wood lath!
high end designer wall on a diy budget
Yeah, I can't leave well enough alone. Good enough is never enough for me. Take our guest bath.... so so. It never felt done or right. Suddenly it hit me, a great wall idea, but all my material options were too expensive.
high end designer wall on a diy budget
Alas, never fear. That means it's time to get creative. Enter wood lath. So for under forty bucks, I transformed a room like mad.

This bathroom is hardly ever used for a shower if you're concerned about the wood; it's been used maybe all of six times and won't be for years, so lath will be a-ok. But hey, this idea is great for any room in the house!
high end designer wall on a diy budget
Sure, lath is tricky. It's wonky, it's bowed, it's not consistent. It's also rough and tumble. But! It's a budget saver and it actually looks great without veering into design styles I didn't want to veer into.

First I stained it with a mix of Golden Mahogany and paint thinner.

Be sure to come by my blog for the great story of how I revealed this to my unsuspecting husband over at Flipping the Flip!
high end designer wall on a diy budget
Next, tacking it to the wall time. I did not plan the vertical seams but I did want an eighth of an inch between each horizontal seam. Easiest, most consistent way to get that? A free paint stirrer.

I have all sorts of great tips on this project, like how I got around the outlet and the light fixture so click the link below to be in the know!
high end designer wall on a diy budget
It took a lot of trimming, to say the least. If you don't have a pneumatic nailer, either borrow from a pal or rent from a hardware store.
high end designer wall on a diy budget
And there it is! Definitely a high end look on a budget!

Be sure to click the link below for all those hot tips, the fun story, and all sorts of other great stuff!
Becky at Flipping the Flip

• Susan

would you consider those pieces of wood more of a 1x3 or 1x4? Do you have a label or measurement you could post? I'm using 1x4's for my baseboard in my rustic-themed home and will have left-overs and could use them on a wall in a bath or ANY room!! thanks for the idea!

• They’re 1/4 x 1 1/2 actually and so rather narrow. I bet the 1x4’s will be great! You’re very welcome, and thank you!

• Susan Newell Logan

I wonder if you could use liquid nail bc of risk of a nail going in a water line? Also, I will be replacing my privacy fence & I would like to upcycle & use some of the boards for an accent wall in my extremely small master bath. What will I need to do?

• Lynette Stevens

I love this look and low budget of this project as well as repurposing material. My concern is if any twisting or warping of the ends if just nailed into the drywall and not nailed into studs. How long has your project been complete? Thank you

• Beth
      11 hours ago

When just nailing (as opposed to gluing), nail one end at 45 degrees to the left and the other end angled at 45 degrees to the right. The board will stay tight. You couldn't pull it out if you tried.