Oversized Watermelon Decor

$6

I love using scrap wood to create oversized versions of everyday items. This summer, I decided to decorate my mantel with giant watermelon slices!
oversized watermelon decor
I cut out a watermelon stencil with my Silhouette machine, but you could easily do this freehand. I cut the slice out of a scrap of 2 x 12 with a jigsaw.
oversized watermelon decor
For another watermelon slice, I cut a half circle with a bite taken out of it. Then I used my Dremel with a sanding drum attachment to sand the inside of the "bites" smooth.
oversized watermelon decor
After sanding down the rough edges, I painted the rind dark green. To give it that mottled texture, I randomly dabbed the paint with a small artist brush until I had the right effect.
oversized watermelon decor
Paint a small stripe white next to the green. I thought about blending the colors together for a more gradual effect, but it looked kinda messy. I painted the rest of the watermelon slice a pinkish red, and filled in the seeds with glossy black paint.
oversized watermelon decor
Don't they look good enough to eat? They looked great on my mantel all summer long!

If you want to see more of my oversized wood decor, check out these conversation hearts I made for Valentine's Day!

Vineta @ The Handyman's Daughter