DIY Shutter Arbor

$5

Back in September of last year I got a message from a neighbor of mine telling me about the local salvage yard giving away a bunch of their mismatched shutters. I was sure that by the time I would be able to get there that there would be none left, but I was pleasantly surprised and managed to load up about 15 shutters.
diy shutter arbor
I’ve been working on shutter projects ever since and I still have a few left.

All the supplies needed are based on shutters 18″ in width.  You may have to adjust your lengths if you have wider or narrower shutters.
  • 2 matching shutters  (18″ wide)
  • 3 2×4’s  or pallet side pieces, cut 2, 48″, and  2, 18″ (the width of the shutter)
  • 4, 8 ft  2×3’s or 2×4’s
  • top arbor pieces, you can use 1×6’s,  1×4’s or pallet wood pieces  … cut 6 pieces about 38″
deck screws
diy shutter arbor
I’m using regular lumber because that’s what I had on hand, but you may want to consider using treated wood to last longer.

Lay out the 4, 8 ft 2×3’s next to the shutter.    Leave about a foot of the 2×3 above the shutter.

Start screwing in the deck screws especially where there are crossbars on the shutter.

Stand the shutter up and finish screwing.
diy shutter arbor
In the area where you left the extra foot, add the 18″ piece of pallet wood or 2×4.  Use more deck screws to attach.
diy shutter arbor
It was at this point when I realized that this thing was getting kind of heavy.  It was much easier to drag the arbor outside now and assemble it  in place rather than trying to move it once it was constructed.

I chopped the bottom corners off of the 48″ pallet wood sides and screwed it to the 2×3’s.
diy shutter arbor
For the top of the arbor I’m using a few pieces of old decking.  Cut 6 pieces 38″ in length.

You could cut the ends with just a straight angled cut, but if you like a fancier edge, cut a pattern from  stiff paper and transfer it to the 1×6 ends.  Cut with a jigsaw or scroll saw.
diy shutter arbor
diy shutter arbor
Mark where those top arbor pieces hit the 2×4’s.

diy shutter arbor
Cut out a notch about an inch in depth.  

If your first board fits, you can use that as a pattern to mark the remaining boards.
diy shutter arbor
diy shutter arbor
Use even more deck screws to attach these final arbor pieces.
diy shutter arbor
Sink the posts in dirt or cement for added stability.

Because I had almost all of the supplies already on hand, this project only cost me about $5. Not bad for a dramatic change to my garden.

Visit me over at ScavengerChic for 19 more shutter projects and more pics of this project.
ScavengerChic

• Sharon Strong

Great idea! One suggestion would be to show the finished product in the beginning, as I had no idea what you were doing until I scrolled all the way down. Then the instructions made more sense! I also agree about keeping the design more shutter-like on the top as well. Do you suppose one could remove a few slats to allow more space for the plants to weave in and out of? It would be awesome to see a picture of it in the spring or summer when it is covered so we can see how it functions!

• Nadine Hartman Bourne

Showing the finished project at the beginning is like reading the last chapter of a book first. It just isn't something you do. You need to let the suspense build.

• The28071543

Great idea - What kind of paint could I use to weatherproof? Here in my area of FL it would not last long if not protected - nothing left outside seems to hold up long

• Great idea and gonna try this look.i have two white plantation shutters that I bought at a vintage shop for 25.00 since my backyard has a white vynal fence this just might be used.Thanks for the share of your project I Love it ❤️

• Love this idea! Question-how did you secure it to the ground so it wouldn't tip over? I've been looking for something like this to do to a patio project I'm going to start this fall and would love to incorporate this idea, but it does get windy in downstate IL!

• Lorraine Manning

I too live in Illinois you could also deck screw 2x4 to the bottom on both sides drill a couple holes in 2x4 use rebar to stake it down when you bury the bottom

• Jewell Martin

I love this, although as long as I was looking sideways at the pictures, I didn’t know what was happening. Then I literally said, Ahhh! But this arbor has it all, even a sort of bridge and a seat on a rock and a stump. Very good job. Best wishes ☺️

• Val

Wow! Fantastic job, it looks amazingly lovely and perfect.