DIY Shutter Arbor

190K Views
Back in September of last year I got a message from a neighbor of mine telling me about the local salvage yard giving away a bunch of their mismatched shutters. I was sure that by the time I would be able to get there that there would be none left, but I was pleasantly surprised and managed to load up about 15 shutters.
Time: 3 HoursCost: $5Difficulty: Medium
  • diy shutter arbor
I’ve been working on shutter projects ever since and I still have a few left.

All the supplies needed are based on shutters 18″ in width.  You may have to adjust your lengths if you have wider or narrower shutters.
  • 2 matching shutters  (18″ wide)
  • 3 2×4’s  or pallet side pieces, cut 2, 48″, and  2, 18″ (the width of the shutter)
  • 4, 8 ft  2×3’s or 2×4’s
  • top arbor pieces, you can use 1×6’s,  1×4’s or pallet wood pieces  … cut 6 pieces about 38″
deck screws
  • diy shutter arbor
I’m using regular lumber because that’s what I had on hand, but you may want to consider using treated wood to last longer.

Lay out the 4, 8 ft 2×3’s next to the shutter.    Leave about a foot of the 2×3 above the shutter.

Start screwing in the deck screws especially where there are crossbars on the shutter.

Stand the shutter up and finish screwing.
  • diy shutter arbor
In the area where you left the extra foot, add the 18″ piece of pallet wood or 2×4.  Use more deck screws to attach.
  • diy shutter arbor
It was at this point when I realized that this thing was getting kind of heavy.  It was much easier to drag the arbor outside now and assemble it  in place rather than trying to move it once it was constructed.

I chopped the bottom corners off of the 48″ pallet wood sides and screwed it to the 2×3’s.
  • diy shutter arbor
For the top of the arbor I’m using a few pieces of old decking.  Cut 6 pieces 38″ in length.

You could cut the ends with just a straight angled cut, but if you like a fancier edge, cut a pattern from  stiff paper and transfer it to the 1×6 ends.  Cut with a jigsaw or scroll saw.
  • diy shutter arbor
  • diy shutter arbor
Mark where those top arbor pieces hit the 2×4’s.

• diy shutter arbor
Cut out a notch about an inch in depth.  

If your first board fits, you can use that as a pattern to mark the remaining boards.
  • diy shutter arbor
  • diy shutter arbor
Use even more deck screws to attach these final arbor pieces.
  • diy shutter arbor
Sink the posts in dirt or cement for added stability.

Because I had almost all of the supplies already on hand, this project only cost me about $5. Not bad for a dramatic change to my garden.

Visit me over at ScavengerChic for 19 more shutter projects and more pics of this project.

Suggested materials for this project:

Prices updated as of May 20, 2018 11:33 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
ScavengerChic

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!