Mice! Help with them

+3
Rented a bungalow and see one small mouse (could be more but i'd like to think its only one). I've tried the traps that the mouse would go in and get stuck but they do not work. Is my best bet the old timey ones that kill them?????????

• CJ CJ on Nov 17, 2017
    I think your best option is the old fasioned snapping kind of traps baimed wit peanut butter. Where there is one mouse, there's probably more. Find where the little varmints get in and seal it off to prevent future issues. The sticky traps have also worked for us but I'd prefer to remove a dead mouse than carry out live ones on the sticky trap. We used a brand that was open and very sticky, unfortunately I don't remember the brand. We've found other brands don't always work so it's not a sure method.
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Nov 17, 2017
    I don't like glue traps as I think it starves them - a slow death. I use the old fashioned snap trap. Have your landlord caulk any cracks and small holes around the outside of your bungalow as that's how they get in. If there's one, there may be more.
  • Big lulu Big lulu on Nov 17, 2017
    Sticky traps work.
  • FL FL on Nov 17, 2017
    No, please. Just find the opening he is getting in through and please note, they can squeeze through the tiniest holes. Then block it off, but use a strong because they can chew through wood/plastic/plaster. Here is a site with more tips: http://wildlifeanimalcontrol.com/mice.html
  • Bait with peanut butter. I only use no kill traps. And call your landlord, they ought to know and should do an inspection to make sure you are not completely overrun.
  • Mary Curry Mary Curry on Nov 17, 2017
    Mice hate peppermint! It blocks their olfactory sensors & they have to be able to smell what's around or near them.

When I find or see evidence that one has been around, good bet there's more than one if you don't invite them to leave.

I've learned it's best practice to clean out the space they've been in... pick it all up, throw away paper or items they've chewed.

If it's something you cherished & it's not ruined, then clean it up, rub it down with peppermint oil, either diluted with water 1:1 or not. This is all conditional in context to material your cherished item is made of... cloth can be washed & put away with peppermint sachets. Other materials like wood, leather, metal - each would require different cleaning methods.

Once area is cleared, clean up, soap and water. After area is clean like you would put everything back - don't! Not yet.

Spray area with peppermint oil/water mix. Using wet cloth or sponge, wipe area so peppermint permeates the space, but don't leave oil to sit. It shouldn't sit & create another mess or be oily slick.

After area is dry & you're happy with how clean it is, you can return items to drawer or area. I usually put one-two items back that mice like & keep checking to see if I've gotten them to leave.

Any holes can be blocked with steel wool & sprayedwith peppermint spray. Mice won't chew through steel wool & peppermint makes them back away.

Yes, this requires patience and due diligence. And it can be labor intensive, but mice are clever little creatures. They're very interested in making a comfortable home in your cupboards and drawers. Once they've discovered your papers, any kinds, bars of soap, the kitchen pantry filled with rice and pastas.... why would they depart willingly??

This does work, but it's not a quick fix. If you don't want to have to kill them or constantly clear traps, which in my opinion, are as nasty as the mess these characters leave if allowed to invade your cupboardsor drawers.

Peppermint has a secondary benefit as it permeates your home and everything smells good. Good luck!