Headboards

$30

I needed two headboards and couldn't find anything I liked or that was within my budget so I decided to make them based on things I had.

This first project was inspired by the need for white ribbon for a holiday decoration. To make this project affordable, I waited for after holiday sales.

I had an old shoji screen that was ripped and abused. I lightly hand sanded the lacquer off.
I spray painted it white and then ripped the paper off. I had to do a little paint touch up with this approach but it made it easier to contain the paint. Give the paint at least 24 hours to cure/dry before the next step.
Next I weaved different colored ribbon through the openings and stapled it to the top and bottom to keep it in place. (There is a front and back to each screen. The staples are on the back of the screen.) The width of the opening is two inches but I found 2 and 1/2 inch ribbon worked really well.
Using ribbon allowed me to select the color palette I wanted for the room. I played with putting rope lights behind it too because some of the ribbon is shear. A good idea but one I had difficulty executing. I made this four years ago and it is still in great shape.
Overall costs for this project was around $25-30. I had the shoji screen, white spray paint and staple gun. I purchased the ribbon after the holidays in January in the clearance section when it was 50% to 75% off.

31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
Do You Want to Update Your Antique Furniture?

• Patti VanDoorne DeMars

Inspired!!! Yesssss, Thank you. Even have the screen hanging around here somewhere. never used because my home was too cluttered. Working on it, 2018 Resolution
  • Ruth McAlpin

What a great idea