Headboards

32K Views
I needed two headboards and couldn't find anything I liked or that was within my budget so I decided to make them based on things I had.

This first project was inspired by the need for white ribbon for a holiday decoration. To make this project affordable, I waited for after holiday sales.

I had an old shoji screen that was ripped and abused. I lightly hand sanded the lacquer off.
Time: 3 DaysCost: $30Difficulty: Easy
  • headboards
I spray painted it white and then ripped the paper off. I had to do a little paint touch up with this approach but it made it easier to contain the paint. Give the paint at least 24 hours to cure/dry before the next step.
  • headboards
Next I weaved different colored ribbon through the openings and stapled it to the top and bottom to keep it in place. (There is a front and back to each screen. The staples are on the back of the screen.) The width of the opening is two inches but I found 2 and 1/2 inch ribbon worked really well.
  • headboards
Using ribbon allowed me to select the color palette I wanted for the room. I played with putting rope lights behind it too because some of the ribbon is shear. A good idea but one I had difficulty executing. I made this four years ago and it is still in great shape.
  • headboards
Overall costs for this project was around $25-30. I had the shoji screen, white spray paint and staple gun. I purchased the ribbon after the holidays in January in the clearance section when it was 50% to 75% off.

Suggested materials for this project:

View All Materials
Prices updated as of May 20, 2018 11:41 PM - More infoHometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Ask a Question