Asked on Nov 19, 2017

How does everyone decorate the front of their house for the holidays?

JewellmartinFiddledd224Sue Peet
+15

I'm just curious of the many ways that people decorate, whether you use store bought decorations or make them yourself.

Janet Pizaro

what do you like,that is all that matters,Use your imagination
  • Funny! I just put up some of the lights today! In my neighborhood the first night to turn on lights is Thanksgiving night. I will not be home (but the pet sitter for the cats, canary and dragon will be), and everything is on timers. I use a combination of store bought, homemade and purchased at craft fairs. I set it up different every year.
  • Cindy
    Cindy

Most of the lights I put up are on the inside of the house. I usually wrap the mailbox with red ribbon. This year I want to make a porch decoration using a tomato cage and garland (or I might just use real pine tree branches) and decorate my mini-tree with lights and picks.
    • Sue Peet
      Sue Peet

Hi, that's what I did last year, took two of the tomato cages and wrapped them in garland and strings of lights. I didn't take them apart so I could use them again this year. They will sit out on my porch.
  • Janet Panos
    Janet Panos

Out front I hang a beautiful fresh wreath with a big red bow above our door and position a white spotlight to shine on it at night. I place smaller wreaths around the coach lights on either side of our garage. On the lawn are two white deer in different positions with green and red spotlights on them. It creates a bucolic and peaceful Christmas scene.
  • Teresa
    Teresa

I cover the top of an old trunk with pine boughs. Then I add sprigs of red berries, home spun ribbon and candles inside mason jars (with sand to add weight.) I also add old wooden snow shoes or skates, what ever I have.
    • Sue Peet
      Sue Peet

Hi Teresa, that sure sounds like a pretty sight for everyone to see. I like to hear how everyone decorates, just wish that I could see more people put together decorations that they have made instead of just store bought items. You sound like a very creative person, thanks for sharing.
  • Liz Toone
    Liz Toone

My house is surrounded by trees so that you can barely see the house. So, on the outside I found that projector lights are the most effective for my situation.
    • Liz Toone
      Liz Toone

No, but it's an interesting idea. However, because of the slope in my yard it would be difficult and actually kind of treacherous to try to hang stuff from the trees. But thanks for the thought!
  • Jewellmartin
    Jewellmartin

I’ve done so many things through the years, but we have not had anything beyond a wreath outside for a few years. This year I am planning to do three tomato cage figures: a lighted angel, a gingerbread woman, and a lighted tree. I also plan to make a snowman out of white trash bags. And I ordered my husband one of those little projectors that sit in the yard, shining Christmas slides on your house. We are old but we always take a drive looking at Christmas lights on houses. Sometimes many drives! Thanks for the question. 😇
    • Sue Peet
      Sue Peet

Hi Jewell, my parents were very good at decorating their front yard for all the holidays, right up to a year or two before they passed away. My Mom was so creative, she could always come up with many unique ideas like making an Easter bunny by using a tall Santa Claus. By covering it with a very big bunny head and human clothes. I too enjoy driving around to see all the decorations.
  • Barb
    Barb

I’m the diy on my block, with a brick home I place wreaths ( all the same size) on all the windows with all matching red glittery bows and matching ribbon to hang upwards on the windows and heavy greenery on the ledges of the windows with the same matching bows and all white lights. I crossbucked skis with a shag and hung that on one side of the very large picture windows in the front of the home and the other has a set of vintage snow shoes crossbucked with greenery and bow and I spray painted the ski the match my shutters. Then two pedestals urns with fake Christmas trees lighted on each side of the home. The porch that’s small stoop like, I add greenery swag around the door with the same matching red glittery bows and boxed toparie tree topped with a bow and the full glass door has red glittery wreath made from a sticks and grape vines with a red bird in a nest. Then under the boxed in maple tree in the yard, I took my old flyer sled painted it in a cranberry red with black runners added a pair of my old white ice skates fuller with greens and picks then added red plaid cuff to the skate boot and a big long glittery bow to the sled and propped that up and right next to the sled is another urn filled with many types of pine tree greenery found in near by woods with center gilittery spiked sticks.
    • Sue Peet
      Sue Peet

Hi Barb, OMG you sure are a busy lady, how long does it take for you to get all this done? I agree with Naomie about posting a picture. Do you like to change the way you decorate every year?
  • Sue Peet
    Sue Peet

I wasn't asking for ideas, I was really curious how everyone decorated their own homes.
  • Fiddledd224
    Fiddledd224

There are as many ways to decorate for the holidays as there are people. Personally, I like the "less is more" approach vs decorating every last inch of my property. But, to each his own, so whatever you like should work for you. Just be prepared --- if you go all out you should expect cars to drive by to enjoy the fruits of your labor!
  • Jewellmartin
    Jewellmartin

Sue, I love it when people ask a question like this. It opens up conversation and gives lots of ideas. I start on my tomato cage angel tomorrow. And we don’t like how the projector snowflakes look on our one-storey house, so I’ll be experimenting with aiming the projector toward our tree. I love Christmas. 😇