Different layers of wallpaper

Wallpaper has been pulled off in places and different levels of paper are showing. How do you paper or paint over this?

  7 answers
  • Do it the right way and remove all old paper first. Rent the steamer and scoring tool, then decide to re paper or prime and paint. You will get a more proessional look with the end result. It is not easy, but worth it. I rarely wallpaper more than an accent wall as I have removed more wallpaper than I care to admit.

    • See 1 previous
    • The steamer will make it much easier, use the scoring tool and it will help a lot. Score it till you feel like your arms will fall off, the steam, steam, steam. Try making a solution of the hottest tap water you can get and mix 50/50 with fabric softener, as that sometimes will help. Work in small sections at a time to have it be as hot as possible. Here is a link.

      Another option would be to call in the pros to get the last bits off for you. Or, I have done this, just replace the drywall. A 4 x 8 sheet can run $10 - $20 and might be a time saver.

      After removing all paper, wash the walls with TSP before painting or re wallpaper ingredients.

      As you are finding out, it is not as easy as TV renovation shows make it out to be. They have teams of professionals all working together, most homeowners do not. Just know that all the hard work will end up in a professional result that you will be proud of for years to come, you did it yourself, know it was done right and give you pride and satisfaction. Even though it may seem daunting now, you can do this!
  • Jean Myles Jean Myles on Nov 18, 2017
    Naomie Moore is right ,best results if you remove the paper before you try to do anything .
    • Mary Ozan Mary Ozan on Nov 18, 2017
      I need to know what to do about the spots that chunks of paper have been pulled off.
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Nov 18, 2017
    A wallpaper steamer will save you much aggravation.
  • Mary Ozan Mary Ozan on Nov 18, 2017
    i understand the steamer part but what about the chunks of paper already pulled off leaving the brown layer of the first wallpape.
  • Jean Myles Jean Myles on Nov 19, 2017
    if you mean that chunks of drywall or plaster have come off then when all the wallpaper has been removed you will need to repair the spots with a skim coat of joint compound the same product that is used to finish off the joints . I think it would be a good idea for you to talk to someone at a wallpaper store or some where like Home Depot.
  • Jean Myles Jean Myles on Nov 19, 2017
    Mary Ozan could you post a picture of your problem ? that might help us to understand just what you are dealing with.

  • Agnes Chrzanowska Agnes Chrzanowska on Dec 31, 2020

    You can sand the walls and then paint them

Your comment...