From Ugly to Glam Upcycled Cookie Tins

$5

I love to make home-baked goodies such as fudge and cookies to give as gifts, especially this time of year. I also love great packaging, so I'm always looking for unique and beautiful ways to wrap my homemade gifts.

This year I've been keeping my old coffee and ugly cookie tins to upcycle into beautiful packaging for my home-baked goodies. I'm really pleased with the marble effect on the tins and think that they are almost a gift in themselves.

I like them so much that I've even marbled a few extra to use myself.
First I gathered my old tin cans. I used coffee cans and Danish biscuit tins.
from ugly to glam upcycled cookie tins
I gathered my tins for transforming. I used an old coffee tin and some Danish biscuit tins.
from ugly to glam upcycled cookie tins
I then spray painted the tin cans a creamy white color (using these spray paints).
from ugly to glam upcycled cookie tins
To marble the tins I used a red nail polish (not fast drying). Fill a plastic tub with warm water and then splash the nail polish on to the water so that it floats on the surface.
from ugly to glam upcycled cookie tins
You can use a cocktail stick to spread the nail varnish across the surface.
from ugly to glam upcycled cookie tins
Next, I rolled the tin can across the surface of the water. This is where the magic happens the nail polish clings to the surface of the tin can in a marble effect. Simply lift the tin out and leave it to dry.

I used this method when making the containers for my cute illuminated pine cone Christmas trees (see here).
from ugly to glam upcycled cookie tins
It is that easy!
from ugly to glam upcycled cookie tins
You can use any colour nail varnish for this and even experiment with 2 different colours at once. I find that some nail polishes work better than others and I find that if you don't use a fast drying polish that works better.
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Debbie Green

I've been doing something like this but with glass jars for a long time. Then I add different things like beads, ribbon, etc. to make them even fancier. I have turned this into a small "business". I have a lot of people that order my jars and they make great gifts too.

• Chandra

Wow!! I love your projects👏👏 Awesome 👍👌