How to get rid of mice with pepermint?

+6
I live in an old house in the country,and mice from the fields
are coming into the house. I have 5 cats (inside) so cant use poison.

• Sandra Sutton Sandra Sutton on Nov 20, 2017
    Scatter moth balls around the outside of your house - you have to put up with the smell, but it works.
  • Rowgop (Pam) Rowgop (Pam) on Nov 20, 2017
    When using peppermint oil to get rid of mice, you must pour the pure peppermint extract onto cotton balls and place them around your home. Generally, they will need to be replaced 1-2 times per week as the peppermint smell quickly wears off from the cotton balls.
  • GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Nov 20, 2017
    Hi there, we used peppermint oil in a spray bottle mixed with water and spray it along the bottom of all of our exterior doors about once a week. Works great against mice and bugs too!
  • Peg Peg on Nov 20, 2017
    Besides catching the mice inside, you need to find out how they are getting inside, otherwise it will be an ongoing issue.
  • Jean Jean on Nov 20, 2017
    dried mint doesn't keep its scent long, but sticking it anywhere you think they are nesting will help - the oil on cotton balls can get tucked anywhere out of the way, along the walls, under the cabinets in the kitchen, etc.

Mothballs are toxic to your pets, so I would avoid them in areas the cats get in to.

you 'will' have to back this up with traps, once they're in, they're in.

Tomcat brand is my go-to, they don't mess around, and they are easy to clean and reload.
  • S S on Nov 20, 2017
    I have been troubled for 3 months with this problem also . I have a decked area right at my back door and think they have found a way of getting in and out of my back bedroom as they are under floorboards and will leave and come back .
  • S S on Nov 20, 2017
    i don't know how I can get them all out or block any entry ways as it would mean checking under floorboards etc . Who does this ?
  • M. M.. M. M.. on Nov 21, 2017
    Contact an exterminator/pest control to find entrances, show you how to use traps.