DIY Christmas Tree (From Wire Hangers!)

$5

In a season where you’re already breaking the bank on presents and parties the last thing you want to do is spend more money to decorate your house, which is why I love this project so much!
You won’t believe what this cute little tree is made from!
diy christmas tree from wire hangers
diy christmas tree from wire hangers
…wire hangers!   Can you believe it?!  I took them out of my closet and didn’t have to spend a dime on what will be the structure of my tree!
diy christmas tree from wire hangers
The next couple steps are a little hard to explain, so hopefully the pictures will help.
I took 2 hangers and overlapped them to form a triangle shape.  I took the “hook” part of the hangers and hooked them around the base of the opposite hanger.  I secured the overlapping parts with masking tape (pictured above).  You will need to repeat this step 2 more times (for a total of 3 “triangle” pieces).
diy christmas tree from wire hangers
After I made the three main pieces, I inserted the leg of the 2nd and 3rd piece through the middle of the first piece to form the tree frame.   The legs should end up all be equal distances apart.
I taped the top overlapping pieces together, and the overlapping pieces in the tree’s center together with masking tape.
diy christmas tree from wire hangers
Here’s what it looks like from the top view.
diy christmas tree from wire hangers
I first wrapped the lights around the tree form, starting from the top and ending at the bottom.  I secured the lights with tape in a few places that weren’t staying where I wanted them to, but overall they stayed put.
Next I wrapped the garland around the tree form and lights, starting from the top and ending at the bottom.  I would occasionally wrap the garland around a piece of the hanger to make sure it stayed in place, while continuing to work my way down to the base.
If you’re having a hard time getting the lights and garland to stay where you want them, you could also secure them with green twist ties.
diy christmas tree from wire hangers
I added some decorative ribbon, but mostly just kept it simple.
I wrapped the ribbon loosely around the tree and tucked it in between the strands of garland to hold it in place.
diy christmas tree from wire hangers
diy christmas tree from wire hangers
diy christmas tree from wire hangers
I really love how it turned out.  You really can’t beat the price on this, either!

For more details and pictures, be sure to visit the link below!
The Cofran Home

• Gayl

Can you do it flat on one side to place on mantle?

• Tammy

You can make it flat on the back to place it in a corner or even the mantle. And you can squeeze the bottom in to fit on the mantle.

• Ade

Questions: in the picture is the Tree on a table?

• Pyesangel

Where do you find a 10ft string of 50 lights?? The smallest I've seen was a 15ft string of 70 lights and that was at Dollar General.

• Tammy

I did get mine from the dollar general but I bought battery lights instead

• Lisa Owen

Yes of course.....great for repurposing those old wire hangers..Great idea 😊

• Yvette Lester

I had a bit of trouble because my hangers were not all the same size and I am in no way crafty. But, I did it!!