DIY Metal Air Plant Stand

$4

When I first heard of air plants I thought they were fake. How could a plant survive off of just air?!?! I mean, a plant that you don’t put in dirt and doesn’t need water – surely this is a dream plant for those of us whose green thumbs are a bit challenged. Am I right? Well, as it turns out, air plants are real and do . The idea was simple and looked super easy to create. Since I’m always on a mission to create the “look for less”, I went to the Dollar Store and bought a metal pan. You know, one that you would bake lasagna in and take to a potluck? Yeah, one of those. The metal was sturdy enough to hold my lightweight air plants, but pliable that I could bend it with my fingers – no special tools required!
diy metal air plant stand
diy metal air plant stand
1. Cut out the center of the metal tray.  Then, cut out the air plant template (found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0D271Ua6ch-aTFQTVF4VlhWb1E/view) and lay them on the tray.
diy metal air plant stand
2. Cut around the templates.

diy metal air plant stand
3. Cut out points on all 3 ends of the stand – this will help hold the air plant in place.

diy metal air plant stand
4. Add 2 coats of spray paint to both sides of the metal stand. Let the paint dry in-between applications.

diy metal air plant stand
5. Once the paint is dry, use your finger to fold the prongs up.  You’ll be able to play with these so they are in the right position to support your air plant.

diy metal air plant stand

Happiness_is_creating