DIY Metal Air Plant Stand

$4

When I first heard of air plants I thought they were fake. How could a plant survive off of just air?!?! I mean, a plant that you don’t put in dirt and doesn’t need water – surely this is a dream plant for those of us whose green thumbs are a bit challenged. Am I right? Well, as it turns out, air plants are real and do . The idea was simple and looked super easy to create. Since I’m always on a mission to create the “look for less”, I went to the Dollar Store and bought a metal pan. You know, one that you would bake lasagna in and take to a potluck? Yeah, one of those. The metal was sturdy enough to hold my lightweight air plants, but pliable that I could bend it with my fingers – no special tools required!
1. Cut out the center of the metal tray.  Then, cut out the air plant template (found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0D271Ua6ch-aTFQTVF4VlhWb1E/view) and lay them on the tray.
2. Cut around the templates.

3. Cut out points on all 3 ends of the stand – this will help hold the air plant in place.

4. Add 2 coats of spray paint to both sides of the metal stand. Let the paint dry in-between applications.

5. Once the paint is dry, use your finger to fold the prongs up.  You’ll be able to play with these so they are in the right position to support your air plant.

31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Fun Father's Day Gift Ideas You Can Make Yourself
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Happiness_is_creating

• Gina S.

This was very creative.🙂 For those of US! 😉 That are clueless about air plants could you substitute fake plants and get the same effect?

• Shirley

Of course! Any type of fake plant will live a long time in any type of planter!  I especially like the fake succulents. Dollar Tree had them for $1 each, and I made two planters full, plus some singles for $10.

• Ded28632747

What type of plant. Thanks.

• Jeannie

where do I get air plants