Asked on Nov 21, 2017

How to clean comforter that says to dryclean

LindaLisa S.Christina Yates
+4

I'd like to clean my bedding comforter & pillow shams that say I should dryclean, but I want to try a less expensive cleaning.
Material of bedding is "oily" where it is close to my face.

• Dfm
    Dfm

there are diy dry cleaning kits, what type of fill in the comforter...poly fill or down? If down there are specific non soap cleaners for down outer wear..nikwax tech wash is what I use for my non down coats and down proof for the down ones. Does a fine job on the down comforters as well. At one time the world largest on line retailer had them available.
  • Dfm
    Dfm

Oh...ps. When you go to dry you down add 3 tennis balls to the dryer to fluff the down.
  • Mar31459952
    Mar31459952

i believe there is a dry cleaning product that you can use right in your dryer... MUCH cheaper than the dry cleaners. You may want to check it out.
  • Lin Collins
    Lin Collins

I'd just wash them in the washer and let them air dry. Water won't hurt the fabric it's the heat from the dryer that kills things.
  • Christina Yates
    Christina Yates

I think manufacturers say dry clean only to protect themselves. I wash my comforters on a cool short wash (30%) and then dry on a shirt setting, I've never had a problem with them
  • Lisa S.
    Lisa S.

If it is really big like king size, you may want to take it to a laundry mat to wash it. I have to take mine, as it will not really fit in the washer. Then I bring home and hang it outside. Dries quickly aa the batting is polyester. But if it is made of silk or wool, really cannot wash. If polyester or cotton, I would go ahead and wash it. Where I live just to have a dry cleaner, launder a king size comforter was $50.00 - no way! $7.00 for laundry mat, extra large machine.
  • Linda
    Linda

Call all the dry cleaners in your town to ask their rates for comforters. In my town, sometimes a dry cleaner will run a special of $20 for cleaning any size and includes the shams. That's a good deal for a king size.