The DIY Doghouse
The DIY Doghouse
  • Langhorne, PA

Remove Rust With Coke

$2

COKE DOES WHAT?! Yeah, that was my thought exactly.
remove rust with coke
My parents offered me their old counter stools when they upgraded. How could I turn down 4 free stools and the chance to do a DIY? No brainer. These stools won’t sit at our dining room table on the regular. They’ll stay in the basement until we have a party and need the extra seating. But, they still needed some serious cleaning.

I removed the 4 support bars/foot rests from the bottom of each stool. They look in decent shape from far away, but take a look at this close up…
remove rust with coke
All the corners were rusted out. These stools lived at the beach for years and the salt air did a number on these frames. I’m not sure if these were originally brass and the rust ate away the color, or if it was originally silver and the rust made it turn this weird yellow brass color. Either way, the surface felt like sand paper. Basically, the rust had rust on it and it was gross to touch.
remove rust with coke
I put the frame in the sink and wrapped paper towels around the entire thing.
remove rust with coke
Then I took a can of Coke and poured generously over the paper towel.
remove rust with coke
If you have a large storage container you don’t mind getting really dirty, you could probably just pour a 2L bottle over what you need to clean, but this works just as well. Let it sit for about 10 or so mins. The Coke will begin to break down the rust.
remove rust with coke
When you’re ready, remove the paper towels. Here’s what the corner looked like after it soaked in the Coke, but before I scrubbed it with a brillow pad. I scrubbed this corner with the same amount of pressure I use to scrub my dirty dishes.

and the after….
remove rust with coke
I could not believe this is the same metal frame! The Coke removed all the rust. There’s permanent discoloration from years and rust, but the large rust spots are gone! The surface is so smooth.

I’ll probably never drink Coke again, but I’ll definitely use it as a cleaning solvent!

Chair Frame
The DIY Doghouse

• Edward F. Hellwig

Does anybody know if Pepsi will do the same thing?
    • Brs31375447

Coke has phosophoric acid along with way too much sugar! Yeah! drinking sodas does things to the digestive system alright and it's not even picky if it's diet soda or not. One needs to drink about 12 glasses of water before one drinks a can of soda to neutralize the acid. Why in the world would one want to drink sodas.... go figure.
  • Har29929556

How do you use Coke or Pepsi to remove the black ring in a toilet bowl? Can DIET soda be used, too?
    • The DIY Doghouse

I haven’t personally done this. But I heard you can use a toilet bowl brush and clean with coke instead of toilet bowl cleaner.

• Gail

Aaahhhh.... All the wonderful tips & info we learn from each other in Hometalk discussions. Wish I had the time to copy down all those tips & put them in a book.
  • Martha Glass