Carolina
Carolina
  • Houston, TX

Kitchen Redo

$100

So I have been waiting several years to replace all my kitchen appliances and the day finally came. However, my cabinets needed a new face lift. So, I decided to repaint. I found this paint at Lowe's that is for cabinets and doesn't require too much prep. I used Mr. Clean erasers to clean the cabinets well. Those erasers are wonderful to remove dirt, grease, glossy finishes and so on.
kitchen redo
We were in the process of installing the appliances, so I covered the new microwave to paint around.
kitchen redo
I did not remove the doors because I decided I could just paint around the hardware.
kitchen redo
kitchen redo
After I had painted the cabinets, I also decided I needed to repaint the walls with a lighter color. So I did that. I had plenty of colors at home so I just mixed some white, brown, black and came up with a nice light gray.
kitchen redo
But then the backsplash was too yellow, so I mixed some glaze with a little black acrylic paint and with a sponge, went over it. Because it is travertine, it took it nicely. Then I finished it with Polycrylic gloss.
kitchen redo
I added some brown to the cabinet paint for the island cabinets so that it looks more like the backsplash.
kitchen redo
Before:
kitchen redo
I also painted the breakfast table leaf to match the new kitchen colors.
kitchen redo
I ended up spending less than $100 for materials and about $3,800 for appliances.
kitchen redo
Here it is all finished. I am sooo happy with my new appliances and the way it all turned out. Lots of work but worth it. The last thing I did to protect the paint from chipping, I used Wipe-on Polyurethane.

• Ingrid Parker

How many Magic Erasers did you use?

• Linda Hahn Zaveson

nice! I used liquid sander and actually took all my cabinet doors off. big project. looks great!

• Helen Pickering

How can you paint cabinets with contact paper it's a moble home hat the cabnets

• Nikki

Go over your cabinets with a piece of sandpaper and just scratch them up a little all over, and you can then do a coat of primer and then paint them, Or you can use an enamel based paint from lowes which dries really hard and is very durable. I had cabinets just like that in my old house and I used the enamel paint from lowes and it never chipped or peeled in the entire 8yrs I lived there.

• Nikki

Your kitchen looks Amazing! And I love that you just made up your own colors etc... Great job! Did you use the Valspar cabinet paint? Or was it one of those cabinet transformation kits?

• Carolina

I used the Valspar cabinet paint. But remember, I first washed them with Mr. Clean erasers and I finished them with Wipe on poly.