How to Emboss With Aluminum Foil

$2

I love the look of 3 dimensional art and metal embossing is a fun way to come up with a unique project. This week, I took one of my older patterns, Holiday Partridge, and made her into a brilliant foil embossed piece of art. This easy DIY project is based off of grade school memories.

how to emboss with aluminum foil

For this project I used:

how to emboss with aluminum foil

Print out the free Holiday Partridge Pattern. Center it on the cardboard and use glue sticks to stick it down. Take the white glue and following one line at a time trace a line a glue onto the first line.

how to emboss with aluminum foil

Glue down pieces of yarn along the lines.

how to emboss with aluminum foil

Because this drawing is so detailed, it will take a while to glue down your yarn. If you are wanting to try this technique out on a simpler line drawing, be sure to check out the links at the bottom of this post, or even use a page from a coloring book!

how to emboss with aluminum foil

Once all the lines are covered with yarn, allow the glue to thoroughly dry before going to the next step. Cut out a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil that is quite a bit larger than your 9 x 12 picture. Carefully crumple it up in your hands a few times and then very carefully open it back out.

how to emboss with aluminum foil

Coat your entire yarn covered picture in a thin layer of white glue. (I used a flat brush to paint it on). Place the crumpled foil over top and begin to press it down into the hills and valleys of the drawing. You can carefully use the end of a pencil eraser to emboss the aluminum into the crevices. This also takes many of the wrinkles out of the foil as you rub it lightly over the flat spaces.

how to emboss with aluminum foil

Once the foil is placed how you like it, you can begin to color in all the flat places with permanent markers. (Do not color in the raised foil lines).

how to emboss with aluminum foil

Feel free to play with color! For the pears, I colored them in with yellow and then added orange to shade.

how to emboss with aluminum foil

The final piece can be framed. What a unique way to decorate for the holidays!

For the free Holiday Partridge Pattern, be sure to click on the link below!

Susan Myers

• Brenda

Cool looking like how you did this.

• Joann

Very cool. And I next to never hand out enthusiastic compliments! Very nice.