How can I protect my door-casing from my power wheelchair?

My doorways are being ruined by my power wheelchair. It's more than just scratches in the paint. I have deep gouges in the wood. Before I try to get these filled and painted, I want to find a way to prevent this kind of damage from happening again.

  8 answers
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Nov 23, 2017
    There are plastic corner guards you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes for just this problem. If they don't work, have someone make door frame guards and screw them on the doorway.
  • They make protectors that go right over the frame. A few companies make them. Google should be able to help you out!
  • Mogie Mogie on Nov 23, 2017
    Sal is right ever our local grocery store installed corner guards due to shoppers that keep running into stuff.
  • Debby Padget Debby Padget on Nov 23, 2017
    They sell strips at the hardware store, home depot, lowes, that have sticky tape that you can put over corners of door frame
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 23, 2017
    Widen the doorway or get buffers for door.......
  • Sharon Sharon on Nov 23, 2017
    This is a common problem in older buildings where the doors are narrower. You can try moving the trim out a bit, and put plastic corner protectors on, and rubber moulding.
    To remove door and install a pocket door can give you a couple inches, if you have room on either side....
    Another solution would to be to remove the door if you have a sidewall space, remove some of the doorway trim and make it wider, and install a barn door.....
  • Dfm Dfm on Nov 23, 2017
    sounds like you need a mettle corner protecor, or a thick closedcell foam on your door frame. Bumper gaurds if you wide is the hall you are entering from? Do you have enough room to turn you chair so you go in straight? You might qualify for house modification to make door ways larger.
    • Rebecca Cooks Rebecca Cooks on Sep 17, 2019

      I have a new motor wheelchair and a apartment rental. The doorway frame and doors have big gouges and holes in the doors. It is difficult to turn from my bedroom to the living room from the hallway. I have to tell my landlord but I don't want to pay for it. It was not neglect or destructive of me. How can I get them to fix these issues.

  • Dfm Dfm on Sep 17, 2019

    You may need the help of your county ombudsman, or county extension office. A pac of Boy Scouts..were quite effective to make the entrance wider...mind you this has to be done according to the building codes in your area. Permits are usually required, and they have a cost for the permit.