What can I do to deter the mice to come to into our warm house?

+7
What can I do to deter the mice to come to into our warm house from the cold? Never had them in the past.

• FL FL on Nov 23, 2017
    Use this site as an expert guide: http://wildlifeanimalcontrol.com/mice.html
  • Call an exterminator and get an inspection. Then screen off or plug up any points of entry.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 23, 2017
    Check for holes outside ,seal them up with steel wool and and spray foam,place traps under any decks,check you garage and basement as well.
  • Fiddledd224 Fiddledd224 on Nov 23, 2017
    Adopt a cat. Seriously.
  • Mogie Mogie on Nov 23, 2017
    Plug all holes (even tiny ones). Make sure they have no food source. Keep food in the kitchen. Let a kitty handle the rest.
  • Landsharkinnc Landsharkinnc on Nov 23, 2017
    find where they are entering; seal with steel wool, wire; and be sure ALL sources of food are properly stored. No food, no mice. Even bird feeders encourage them by providing a food source --
  • Big lulu Big lulu on Nov 23, 2017
    If you can't find out where they're coming in and plug the hole then put out traps.
  • Kim Kim on Nov 23, 2017
    The mystery of the mice entry point in my house was solved when I happened to be sitting near the AC intake air vent in the living room. Just under the HVAC, the sound of little mice feet scratching around was very clear!! I opened up the A/C air vent (apparently the mouse ran back outside, since it did not take the bait I left in this area for it). Inside, I found a large tunnel going down into the slab where the hoses came into the house from the outside HVAC compressor. This tunnelm, about 6" in diameter, was serving as a mouse highway. I immediately went to Home Depot as procrastination does not serve well in situations like this. I bought several bags of very coarse steel wool, and a can of Dow Great Stuff Pestblock - which is an expanding spray foam. WEAR GLOVES, this foam is poison, it will get on your hands, and it will be almost impossible to remove (take my word for that). At each end of the tunnel, I first sprayed the Pestblock foam into the hole as far down as I could, and quickly, using a paint stirrer, stuffed a full bag of coarse steel wool into the hole at each end, all around the hoses, then topped it off with more of the foam. I didn't care if the foam spilled out of the tunnel inside the air intake vent chamber. However, outside the house, after the foam cures, cut it back so it doesn't stand out and paint it with a flat latex paint so that the foam does not deteriorate. No more mice!! Total cost, about $15 at Home Depot. I have been told mice can get into any opening dime size or larger (if circular), or any opening larger than 1/4" wide, as they can flatten their little persons out. Check under the edge of siding to see if you have openings bigger than that - you can stuff copper wool into those to help occlude the little beasts.

• Ebbjdl Ebbjdl on Nov 23, 2017
    Start by getting some cat hair from the brushing of a cat, either yours or someone you know. Next fill a few envelopes with the cat hair and seal the envelopes. Make a few small holes in them and place them in you bottom cabinets in the back. The mice get the scent of the cat, and they pack their bags and leave, permanently. Leave the envelopes there, if some others get the idea to come in, they'll leave quick. Works every time.
  • Nancy Clark Jowers Nancy Clark Jowers on Nov 23, 2017
    Spray peppermint infused water or lavender all around the house. Stuff areas around pipes, cracks in the foundation, etc with steel wool.