Asked on Mar 24, 2014

Paint a face or Not?

ShuganneLea GrossmanE4lizerd
+26

I have a future spring project starring my garden head planter April Rose and her friend. My original plan was to keep the faux stone appearance... But I wondered if I should try something different this time by painting on a face? Painting the face will certainly change the character and feel of the planter.
My problem is that I'm scarred that once I do this I may not like it Lol! What do you think?
This is superimposed by my paint shop on my computer. I drew on eyes and lips.
This is April rose from last year..
  • Teri
    Teri

Hello I have made many of these and have them in my yard and also gave them away for gifts. I used a spray paint that looks like a rock finish and then used acrylic paint for the face. They have lasted through the winter and still look freshly painted. You can view others on my hometalk page.

• Vetsy
      Vetsy

@Pris L It just dawned on me this month to place them on Bamboo sticks. They are currently standing in a large flower pot on the balcony until I complete them..Than I'm going to fill individual pots and place them in their own.

• Toni Teague
    Toni Teague

Don't ! The Amish do not give their dolls faces as this lends to their children to use their imagination and use their creativity. I think she is more of a Diva unpainted.

• Vetsy
      Vetsy

@Toni Teague Thanks for the input... Mmm more of a Diva unpainted. That's what I'm wondering, I'm trying to see what her appeal is without a painted face..Your input and others are very helpful Thank you. I have several weeks to make up my mind... I should have lots of input by than...LoL!

• Tina H
    Tina H

No, I would leave it as is!

• Linda Whitenburg
    Linda Whitenburg

Not

• Carol S
    Carol S

I would use smudge Pale shades of gray & brown just the accent the facial features.

• Vetsy
      Vetsy

@Carol S it's interesting that you should mention that Carol... I was just contemplating on how to do it.... After I spray painted April Rose for the second time and the second year in a row her features are more muted. I'm going to try that.... Thanks..

• Mary Alice M
    Mary Alice M

I would definitely go for it! If you like whimsy or you like funky I would go for color on the eyes and the lips!!

• Vetsy
      Vetsy

@Mary Alice M Ahhh.... that's a thought Mary.. I could make a few just to have a funky whimsical appeal.... And a few faux stone. Sounds like I have a busy spring project on my hands... Lol! Thank you for your input.

• Linda G
    Linda G

I agree in not painting the face. Would you like to give it more of an aged look of stone by airbrushing a darker shade of gray as Carol suggested?

• Vetsy
      Vetsy

@Linda G Mmmm... Another good idea... I don't have an air brush perhaps it's time for me to get one.. Thanks for your input.

• Capemom8741
    Capemom8741

I believe much of the decision depends on the location you're displaying the planter. The planter displayed in front on a white house background wouldn't stand out. Airbrushing with a bit darker skin tone of paint would make the planter pop, along with adding a hint of facial detail. If the background of placement is other plants, then, I believe the white head is better left untouched. It's a wonderful display piece, so go with your instinct.

• Vetsy
      Vetsy

@Capemom8741 Sounds like you guys are very artistic... I'm loving your input, I'm going to try my hand at this and hope that it turns out better than expected.. Thank you..

• Donna Shipley
    Donna Shipley

I like mine unpainted, but they are much more primitive that this one. Where did you get it?

• Donna Shipley
      Donna Shipley

@Vetsy Thank you. The large heads in my photo are heavy terra cotta pots that I found at Rite Aid for a couple of years. The other's are resin. I do want to try a wig head too. Thanks for the link to your blog :)

• Liliana Wells
    Liliana Wells

Thanks for the instructions. I have been wanting to make one of these. I was wondering why you decided to cut the hole after painting, rather than before. I want to use creeping jenny in mine. I will post if successful.

• Vetsy
      Vetsy

@Liliana Wells Yes you must make the hole first which is what I've done on April rose... On the second wig head I was in a hurry to get it painted and forgot that step...LOL! I can't wait to see what you do with yours...

• E4lizerd
    E4lizerd

I am personally kind of a funky girl, so I like the face.

• Vetsy
      Vetsy

@E4lizerd I'm starting to like both ideas... You guys are great with the input... Thank you..

• Lea Grossman
    Lea Grossman

I love it !

• Shuganne
    Shuganne

How about a shiny white ceramic paint to make a geisha face? Just another idea. Why not try sealing and then water colors? If you don't like it, wash her clean. :)