I bought tulip bulbs in Holland - best way to save to plant next fall

+5
I bought tulip bulbs in Holland and did not get them planted yet- what is the best way to keep them or should I try to get them in the ground now? I am in MN

• Polly Fuller Polly Fuller on Nov 25, 2017
    keep them in the fridge.
  • Kim a Kim a on Nov 25, 2017
    Make sure the bulbs are dry first, then put them in a paper bag and store in a cool dark place. Remember to label the bag.
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Nov 25, 2017
    Check and see when your planting zone suggests these go in the ground. You can google "planting zones" to find your number. Here in Atlanta, they are planted in September...at least before the first frost...which should be any day now...actually late.

I have read where some people keep them in the bottom of the refrigerator and plant in the spring...????

• Shoshana Shoshana on Nov 26, 2017
    Keep them in dry dark place, such as the basement in a paper bag. That will keep them safe until you are ready to plant them.
  • Jel31466193 Jel31466193 on Nov 26, 2017
    I am in the UK and have planted tulips in November/December, provided the ground is not 'rock' hard! Plant them deep - I think they would be better in the ground than out.
  • Grainne Grainne on Nov 26, 2017
    I believe they will do better in the ground if you can still work the soil. Tulips need the chill of winter to bloom well. Fridge can work or another cold area. Do not leave apples or other fruit near the bulbs as this will prevent them flowering. No idea why but it does.