Asked on Mar 25, 2014

Should I paint my garage doors black?

Denise Foley CareyMichael LSheila D
+53

We are having our house painted this spring and I really want to paint the garage doors black. The problem is that the house is west facing and gets blaring summer sun with high heat. My biggest concern would be the door warping or fading and looking really bad. Does anyone have any experience with a black garage door, and if so, is there a particular paint/sheen that you would recommend? We are keeping the same colors on the house when we repaint. I don't have a problem with touching it up every few years.
q should i paint my garage doors black, doors, garage doors, garages, painting
30 of 52 answers
  • J K Weigle

Don't listen to naysayers. The clopay doors look wonderful! Put up some black or other color poster board or cardboard next to the house to check it out. Use those little paint samples. EVERY house has white garage doors. As Apple says, "think different."

• @Amy Anderson You can paint them what ever you like, but you just would need a high quality acrylic paint. Of course it would generate heat but I can only assume that the quality of your doors is probably better than most and an insulated overhead door was installed which resists heat remarkably well. ( I have one ). I have been painting for 35 years and am also an artist, so you can imagine that I have used every color imaginable including certain base colors for wood graining. I would not fear the color you are wanting but it could create a maintenance issue for you and I would not use anything higher than a satin finish. If it were me from a decorative stand point I would trompe loeil the look of carriage hardware on the doors and would warn against breaking the integrity of the surface with any thing such as nails, screws, or substrate piercing of any hardware as it would probably void the warranty of the door. I would especially read the manufacturers labeling on the back of the door (inside labels) as to painting and/or repainting. Here in Florida any oil base paints (including primers) on these types of substrates is strictly forbidden and can cause more damage than good later on. If I have seen it once I have seen it a thousand times and it costs more to refinish the door than it does to replace it (refinish costs $1,800 - $2,500 in some cases). Does black fade? Of course it does just as any other color does it's just a matter of the quality of the paint you use that's going to determine how fast and how long the sun beats down on that door. However what will help is a proper colored primer under coat is going to make the color last longer (dark gray/black primer if you can get it) In todays market innovation has advanced the acrylic water borne paint systems that even todays auto industry uses acrylics for vehicles these days (even black) and of course spraying would be the best application and that takes an experienced professional to apply it correctly but you should be able to paint them whatever you like. However in my professional opinion I think I would use the main color of the home (including primer) and hand painting (trompe loeil) hardware would be nice. For a paint brand I would suggest a PP&G manufactured product (Porter, Pittsburgh, etc.) Even Sherwin Williams has a good line just ask for the area sales rep and not the 18 to 20 year old pimply faced teenager behind the counter. (Trust me on this tip lol ;-)

• Deborah

Amy, great house, BTW! I would go off in another direction...add shallow pergolas over each garage section, painted white, paint garage doors one shade darker than the house, add either faux carriage hardware or the real thing in black. I love black, but I agree with the others. It could be 2 big black holes. On a side-load garage it would work.

• Cindie Taylor-pamula

I CAN SEE THE SHUTTERS & DECORATIVE HEADER ABOVE GARAGE DOORS A DARK EGGPLANT COLOR.

• Becky (J) P

I am of the frame of mind that garage doors should only be white or a tan color. I think black would be way too hot, and they would stay hot longer than a lighter color. I base this of the fact our west facing maroon front door was too hot to touch during the summer months. It is now white (boring), and not hot.

• Robbin Rothgeb

i had a similar issue....just went with the hardware. made a huge difference without a big commitment. a little bling for front! like earrings!

• KATHLEEN QUINLAN

I definitely would not do Black. I agree with most of these statements. I like the white but if it is because the bottom gets dirty you could do a 1-2 foot paint on the bottom of tan to match the house and the top part white...

• Kathleen Hodges

NO, they would stick out, focus on your front door, that is your welcoming area.

• Cindy Bowles

I would put a nice med to dark stain on they. They would look more expensive

• Nancy

I always paint my garage door the same color as the house siding. That way the door doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. It seems I've started a trend in my neighborhood. As I drive around I see more and more garage doors painted to match the house's siding.

• Jessica G

Yes, it will look clean and wonderful.

• Ashley Reed

I was actually thinking about painting my garage door black, I don't know if it would look good on my house. I think with the black trim and windows it would look great for you, you should go for it. Maybe you could photoshop the black doors onto that picture so you could see what it would look like, it would definitely be a unique look! http://www.auroraoverheaddoor.ca/en/richmond_hill_and_area.html

• Donna Byram

Black will absorb heat and make your garage hot temperature wise from the sun. That would be my only objection to black doors unless they are well insulated.

• SJazz

YES! Or a dark grey - SW Black Fox & paint shutters to match. It will make the beautiful stone work POP! Front door can be a Bright color, red or teal? The current WHITE are drawing my eye to your garage, which they are already a focal point b/c they take up the majority of the front of your space. Good luck!

• Ida M Still

@SJazz I agree! Just looked at that color yesterday....or another color in the same scheme is Urbane Bronze (SW) dark garage doors look really classy and not so standard as white or tan. If you look at this picture, it's split in two with dark side, light side. If you darken up the garage doors there will be better balance and it will tie the stone work around the doors to the dark and ground the house. Very pretty! Do it I say! But who am I;o)

• B. Enne

Hi, I think black would make them look like big gaping holes...I would leave them white, paint them tan or pull a lighter colour out of your stone, like light-medium grey. beautiful house BTW!

• Nancy

I always paint my garage doors the same color as the siding of the house. That way they blend in. Your front door should be the focus not the haulking garage doors.

• Linda Spellman

There is a home in our neighborhood with black painted garage doors and trim on the house to match.....it looks like early Halloween all year round...personally I don't like it. We repainted our home and we did do the front door black but left the garage the same as the siding and the trim white with garage lights black. We also have a black bench on the front porch. Your home is gorgeous don't do anything to mess it up! I also read that there is information on the inside of the door that tells you what paint to use and what not to as some will void your actual door warranty, good luck.

• Gayle

What about painting the garage door FRAME the color of the shutters instead? It would add to the interest of curb appeal. I would NOT paint the garage door black.

• Terri Purcell DiEnno

I would love to know if you painted your garage doors black and how they look. I want to paint ours now.Our home is the first house on a private road and the garage is the first thing you see when you pull in. Boring white besides the green and my potted plants. I think the black would look nice.

• Trish Davenport

Trim the inserts in black not the whole door. It will make them pop. To test it out take a picture and print it out on paper. Then color the areas with a pencil. That will give you the best idea of what it will look like. Don't do the whole door black.

• Sheryl

I painted mine dark brown and regret it everyday because it always looks like the garage door is open. I don't know how many times I've thought someone left the garage door open- or worse yet, think someone has burglarized my home as I drive up after work. Don't do it.

• Sheila D

I agree with Gayle, only paint the frame for a sophisticated look. .HOA may not let you paint them a dark color. also black will make it very hot in the summer and fade the paint, Send pics of finished product.

• Small Talk Mama

I did a post a couple of years ago about test driving your garage door design, including color. You can upload a photo of your own house and see how the changes look. I found the post with the link to the site, if you want to give it a try. http://www.smalltalkmama.com/test-drive-your-garage-door-design/

• Ryan Lucia

Amarr makes a black garage door (Olympus or Designers Choice) and you can also get a black glass garage door. We are receiving a lot more request for black garage doors every day. https://aaronoverheaddoors.com/garage-doors/black-garage-doors/

• Sheila D

Sheryl, Did you decide what to do? If so, please send pictures of finished product.

• Michael L

I am in the same boat as you and am going to replace our almond non insulalated garage door with a black insulated one. We visited the company’s showroom that we are buying from and the guy said they add a green color to the black to reflect the heat. I’d go with the advice that lady gave you that spoke about the Cloypay door.com website. We are buying from a company named Overhead Door and he gave us the paint code from Sherwin Williams just like that lady mentioned that talked about the clopay co. We have a gray ranch with a black door and black shutters and the sales guy sent us pics what it would look like black or white and the black looks much better since we have white trim already on our house. I hope this helps.

• Michael L

Hi Amy we are in the same boat as you and we are going to paint our garage door black. We are buying one from a Nationally well known company and the guy at the showroom said they add a green color to the black to reflect the heat. He gave us the paint code and it was from Sherwin Williams like that lady mentioned that spoke about that clopay company. I’d take her advice and mine since I was struggling with this also knowing that black attracts the heat. We are buying and having installed a insulated garage door called a Thermacore door. The sales rep sent us a pic with a white and black garage door and the black looks so much better. We have a gray ranch with white trim and a black front door and shutters and now that the guy mentioned the color on the black garage door being mixed with the green and reflecting the heat we are going to go that route. I hope this helps.

• Did you paint your garage door black? I think it would look great. Im considering doing the same, and am surprised by the many comments against black doors on this thread.

Here are some Pinterest and Houzz photos of houses with black garage and they look beautiful, not like black holes!