How to clean silver plated

+5
I have a large tray silver plated has tarnished would love some advice on how to restore it back to it's original color
thank you

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 27, 2017
    plain white toothpaste
  • Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Nov 27, 2017
    Toothpaste, original style, no whitening or anything like that and a rag, possibly a toothbrush if you want it out of the design crevices. Rinse it off in warm water and polish dry and it should look like new. If the tarnish is really thick, it may take more than one try, but silver polish would be the same way, but harder to get the polish out of the detail.
  • Molly Anmar Molly Anmar on Nov 27, 2017
    If your silverplate is still whole, you can polish your tray with a good silver cream. I like Wright's, but there are several very good mfgrs. If the silverplate on your tray has worn down to the base metal, then the only way to restore it is to have it re-silvered. There are companies all across the states, here's an example of one: https://www.resilver.com/
  • Bijous Bijous on Nov 27, 2017
    1. Buy heavy duty Reynolds aluminum foil
    2. Completely cover, bottom and sides, a large wash tub or your kitchen sink with the foil - shiny side showing
    3. Formula is 2 cups salt to 1 gallon water
    4. Bring water to almost a boil.
    5. Use canning salt and dissolve in some warm water
    6. Pour in water, then salt in tub or sink
    7. Dunk silver for 15-30 minutes depending on gravity of tarnish
    8. Rinse and use silver polish to polish. It will leave a protective coating retarding tarnish.
  • Nancy Nancy on Nov 27, 2017
    you can buy silver polish in most stores because i have
  • Gayla russell Gayla russell on Nov 28, 2017
    online I think the one u line sink aluminum foil then use baking soda water check this one out
  • William William on Nov 28, 2017
    I sell a lot of silver and silverplate on Ebay. Jewelry, silverware, serving sets. Silver polish and dips tend to remove some of the metal. Like Tarn X and Wright's. The foil method doesn't work that great and still leaves a grey film that still needs to be removed. I use white toothpaste (not gel)and a damp toothbrush. For large items I use a damp cloth. Also works on copper, brass, gold, porcelain, ceramics, sneakers, plastics, etc. For my sales I needed one product for cleaning everything.