Beth
Beth
  • Athens, GA

Easy No- Sew DIY Bench Pillow From a Table Runner

$15

For this project, I needed a long pillow for a vintage railroad bench we have on our front porch. Pillows that are this length are always really expensive, and even though I don't sew, I knew that I could DIY one much cheaper with this simple trick!

This always works great for smaller pillows as well!

easy no sew diy bench pillow from a table runner
First, gather your supplies. You'll need:
-A cloth napkin, placemat, or table runner. Since I wanted a bench pillow, I used a table runner, but a cloth napkin or placemat works great for smaller pillows. It must have two layers of fabric- this is crucial as you will be stuffing fiber fill between the layers!
-A seam ripper
-Some fiber fill. I used two bags for my project, but for most smaller pillows you'll use less than one bag (I'm linking what I used here for convenience, but you can find it MUCH cheaper in store)
- Stitch Witchery; I used black so it would blend in better with my fabric
Next, use the seam ripper to pull apart the seams. I usually only make a hole around an inch and a half or so wide. Over the years, I've found that the pillow holds up better if the hole is smaller.
Use the stuffing tool to fill the hole with the fiber fill. Even with this table runner, which was really long, it only took about 30 minutes to complete. Use the stuffing tool to help work the fiber fill into the corners.
Finally, use the Stitch Witchery to fuse the fabric edges into place. I couldn't get a good picture of this step, but if you're not familiar with how to use Stitch Witchery, it's awesome. My blog post gives all the details for how it works. See the pic above? That's the completed pillow, and you can't tell where the seam was pulled apart.
The end result. The bench cushion spans almost the entire length of the railroad bench.
It's just the rustic yet festive look I was going for. Next: trying to figure out what to do with the bench! Do I leave the patina as is or change it?
Beth

• Sunshine

Thank you for sharing. What a great idea. I have a patio set but hate the back pillows. I was always staring at them wishing I could change them. You inspired me. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!
    • Beth

Oh, I'm so glad! When you try this, post a pic so I can see how they turn out- I bet it will be great :-)

• Karen Newman Priest

I have the witchery stuff but never knew how to use it , i cant sew cause my hands dont let me now , this is an awesome idea thank you
    • Beth

You're very welcome! I love stitch witchery- it's amazing! Let me know if you need more help on how to use it :-)