Rustic Stocking Holders

$0
1 Day

You know me and rustic–we were made for each other. I think I could have survived during early pioneer days. I have all those homemaker skills down pretty well. I really was channeling early settlers when I made these rustic stocking holders.
rustic stocking holders
They were pretty easy and I really love how they turned out.  It totally seems like something they would have made and had in their house.  Although maybe they just pounded some nails into the mantel and called it good.
rustic stocking holders
This aren’t hard to make, and are a great beginner wood working project.
Supplies:
  • 1 2x6x6
  • Brad nail gun with 2″ nails or 2″ screws
  • Silhouette or craft cutter (or stencils will do too)
  • Vinyl for craft cutter
  • DecoArt Chalky Finish Paint (I used these colors:  Romance, Everlasting, Rustic, Escape, and New Life).  Americana Decor Chalky Finish paint is available in Michaels in the wood and finishes aisle. (Visit the DecoArt Chalky Finish website for  more chalk paint ideas and inspiration!)
  • Sander or sandpaper
  • Lots of foam paint brushes
  • Minwax stain in Early American
  • Old rag
  • Cute knobs

I made five stocking holders from one piece of wood.  Get a longer piece of wood or two pieces if you want to make more.
Cut (or have cut at wood store) the 2×6 into 5 pieces of 5.75″ length and another 5 into 4″ length.
rustic stocking holders
Use your nailer or screws to join the two pieces together.  I centered the 5.75″ on top of the 4″ piece.  Then give them a good sanding.  Wipe off the sawdust.
rustic stocking holders
Use your craft cutter to cut out your ‘rustic’ Christmas shapes.  I chose pretty simple shapes that seem to be more rustic to me and could easily have been painted by hand.  I have a Christmas tree, snowflake, deer, Mason jar, and mitten.  I got all these shapes on the Silhouette store.  I cut them on the vinyl and transferred them to the wood.
Honeybear Lane