Sorry for chiming in to this thread so late, but I just had to share this in case it helps someone out. I wish I had gotten this advice years ago as a cat owner.
My best advice?
Give the book " Ultimate Cat Secrets" a read.
It really is the only long-term solution to discipline your cat, OP.
This might come as a surprise to you, but your cat actually wants to obey you.
It’s kitty’s independent, sassy nature that makes you fall in love with him, but it’s this very attitude that makes it frustrating to train fun behaviours into your favourite feline.
Cats respond best to positive reinforcement – yelling, punishing or disciplining your cat just won’t work.
In my opinion, Ultimate Cat Secrets is a must-have for all cat lovers. It's not just a cat training manual – it’s one of the quickest and most comprehensive guides to living with a cat that I’ve ever seen.
The easy access audio format makes it a breeze to digest from your computer or your mobile device and the lessons inside are easy to implement. And if that’s not enough for you, ordering now will score you FIVE great bonuses:
1) How to toilet train your cat and get rid of that stinky litter box forever.
2) Extra tips audio program which includes basic first aid and tips on my favourite kitty calming remedy.
3) Pet medical recorder – an absolute essential for parents of asthma cats or any kitty with a chronic medical condition.
4) Downloadable transcripts of the entire program and all the bonus materials.
5) 100 recipes to pamper your feline friend.
I HIGHLY recommend it.
Here's a link to their site