C. D. Scallan
C. D. Scallan
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Saint Amant, LA

Paper and Cardboard Lantern

$1

Okay our challenge this week is a cardboard creation. I was inspired by a lantern I saw on Etsy and wanted to try out something like it but a little different. Perhaps I should have downloaded the pdf but then I always feel like I'm cheating and it's not really my creation. So I post my own, however flawed, and you guys get to laugh along with me 😁
paper and cardboard lantern
I started out with a school ruler and a lead pencil, drawing and cutting out 4 inch triangles from an old shoe box.
paper and cardboard lantern
I had no idea how many I was going to use ,so I cut out about six or seven. Honestly I didn't really count, knowing that I only used the lid so far and still had the box left if needed more.
paper and cardboard lantern
Then I brought them outside and spray painted them silver because the majority of my Christmas decorations are silver this year.
paper and cardboard lantern
Next I hot glued four of the triangles to a four inch square cardboard base (that in retrospect maybe I should have painted too,) and glued some red tissue paper in the gaps between the triangles.
paper and cardboard lantern
I fashioned a flat removable top that also has a triangle cut out of it to let the light through.
paper and cardboard lantern
Here it is with the battery operated tea light. It's not very sophisticated, I know, but I gear most of these type crafts towards things that I can do my children and this definitely one them. I hope that I've inspired one of you to create your own!

Old shoe box

• Wanda

You know what? You just gave me my next brainstorm for my grandkids next visit. The shape and size of your lamp looks to be similar to my canister vac bags. They can color them and put some sand in the bottom for the light with no scizzors involved in the project. They can use a hole punch to make their own design. Thank you very much!!! as I am always looking for kid friendly projects to get them off their devices.
    • C. D. Scallan

What a great idea ! Maybe if you have some scrapbook punches , the shapes could be more interesting ? Please post pictures ? I'm so glad you are inspired .

• Wanda

I sure will. It will be a good project when school is out for the holidays.