Asked on Nov 29, 2017

Light spot in very dark leather couch. What can I do?

Holly Lengner - Lost MomSharonJohnavallance82
+17

This is a very dark brown Couch. Showing lighter where my head rests , I have shown a light on the area so it can be seen easier. What can I use to color it? Thanks to any ideas.
  • Amanda
    Amanda

Hi Karen. You can purchase leather dye. Here is a link with more info.
  • Phyllis Broussard
    Phyllis Broussard

You can always use a dark brown shoe polish. Let it dry then buff it.

• 2dogal
    2dogal

Leather dye is the best - it can be bought at a shoe repair store.
  • Manfred's Mom
    Manfred's Mom

Some months ago some one mentioned "Re-Love" gel stain for leather on this site. I bought a can and it made most of my leather sofa look brand new. It is expensive ( about 40.00 for a small can) but it goes a long way and my kids thought I had bought new furniture. It does not work 100% on those head spots though. Still I was very pleased.
  • Ebbjdl
    Ebbjdl

Try using saddle soap, it's for cleaning leather. You can purchase it at an automotive store. Leather soaks up grease,, it must be from your head over time. I have covers that I made from cotton, to cover this area, on my lounge chairs. It's hard to cover leather because it's slippery, I don't know what you can cover it with, except a blanket.
  • Mumandp
    Mumandp

RELUV Leather furniture Dye is amazing...I got a really worn leather couch for really cheap because it looked like hell.....faded all over in big patches so I ordered the RELUV and within two hours the couch looked brand new, lush, even colour, and the leather felt like silk it was conditioned, it looked so good.
    OR if money is an issue You can also use shoe polish, be sure to use it just as You would to polish Your shoes and once buffed it will come uo a treat as well..............All the best!!
    Blessings from the North,
    xo Michelle
  • Jani Robinson Mendenhall
    Jani Robinson Mendenhall

Paste style shoe polish. Works great I have used it.

• Suellen Hintz
    Suellen Hintz

Shoe polish, rubbed off thoroughly.
  • Rachel
    Rachel

shoe dye works great and so does shoe polish and it doesn't rub off on your clothes just be sure to shine the area. I have a leather couch I have had for 10 years or more and it looks brand new. I also rub it down with neatsfoot oil once a year and again I shine the couch with a soft cloth.
  • Ds525884911
    Ds525884911

• Dustin
    Dustin

We used to clean couches and carpet as well. Usually something like this was from sunlight or a spill. May be able to use leather cleaner to clean or darken it.
  • Glenda
    Glenda

Bought dye to use on leather recliner around head area that was lightened, applied due on light area but now there is a darker color around this area that is noticeable, what can I do to remove it, I buffed it like the instructions.

• Therese Granahan
    Therese Granahan

My black leather couch has grey Mark's maybe from something wet

• Sharon Harmston
    Sharon Harmston

How to get oven cleaner off a leather couch. The spilled area is yellow and the leather couch is dark brown

• Johnavallance82
    Johnavallance82

Hello Karen,

If it is real leather, try shoe polish or may be Saddle soap!

• Sharon
    Sharon

You need some analine dye the color of the couch, and some leather cleaner to get the oil off before staining. This is the product I use on client's leather couches to make them look like new... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt_o_qSgS3k