What are the easiest shrubs to have around your house?

+7
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Nov 30, 2017
    Location,Lighting,and amount of planting area is needed to answer your question
  • Shelly Dye Shelly Dye on Nov 30, 2017
    I think boxwoods would be good, slow growers and evergreen all winter
  • Dianacirce70 Dianacirce70 on Nov 30, 2017
    we have arbor vitea and besides water, they are literally ignored. They are shaped like a pine, but don't get too large. I plan to put in some box hedges in the spring.
  • Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on Nov 30, 2017

That’s a broad question I’m not sure that I can offer direct suggestions.
    Do you want evergreen shrubs or do you want shrubs that have flowers berries or blossoms? Are the sites you’re intending to plant the shrubs in shade or sun? What is your planting zone?
    We can see a lot of wonderful plants at the nursery and try to put them in their existing landscape and fail which can be quite frustrating.

Shrub selection would depend on your planting zone and lighting situation, care required that ypur willing to do, colors and textures that you like then compare that to a list of plans that you might like to consider. Example I’m a big lover of lilac bushes growing up in the Northeast but they struggle and preform poorly here in my southern hot humid zone seven.

A great resource is your local Cooperative extension. These offices are manned by a wonderful team of master gardeners that know your local situation quite well. There's also email ( submit a photo) Q&A resources that have helped me many times. Consider googling up your local extensions office.

• Pam McAlpin Bird Pam McAlpin Bird on Nov 30, 2017
    Their are miniature varieties to many shrubs now that don't get any taller than 18 inches. See a local nursery to see what will work in your area.
  • Pascale Nguyen Pascale Nguyen on Nov 30, 2017
    Boxwood are very easy to care for.
  • 27524803 27524803 on Nov 30, 2017
    Ask your LOCAL nursery which plants will work best in the area where you live and which ones might have a negative impact on your walkways and foundation
  • Chubby58 Chubby58 on Nov 30, 2017
    I've planted some hilera holly. They are low growing compact shrubs. They don't get big and stemy. They are very pretty and require little maintenance. I like to have low shrubs so you can see my house, rather than covering half of it up with greenery.